Fideo pasta is something really neat. At first glance it seems to be spaghetti just cut into eighth but, unlike most pasta this one is toasted in olive oil prior to drying. What’s also unique about it is it can be simmered in a sauce to cook since it is such a smaller, thinner noodle. For reference fideo is like the noodle you see in chicken noodle soup. Another fun fact fideo is often adapted to Spanish cooking for soups, broths and even paella!
So for this dish when I say double garlic I mean double garlic. I often see recipes that have 1 clove of garlic and think no way that flavor remotely comes through. Unless its like marinated, fermented, roasted. you get what I’m saying, its just not happening. No matter how much I respect a recipe if I see a clove ill probably add 3 minimum. If I’ve used all my garlic for whatever odd reason that’s when garlic powder comes into play.
I was at the store I bought my usual garlic but was thinking I need to buy garlic in bulk since lately for whatever reason it seems to not be cutting it. I made a impromptu trip to one of my other favorite stores and ofcourse I found some bulk garlic. Thinking about what I can do to utilize a good portion of this garlic, led this recipe to be born. Once roasted, garlic tends to become sweeter so don’t be overwhelmed by the amount of garlic in this dish.If you love garlic then this one is for you! Check it out and let me know what you think!
- 8oz Fideo Pasta
- 1/4c grated parmesan
- 25 cloves garlic
- 1Tb parsley
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4Tb butter
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1tsp black pepper
- 1tsp red pepper flakes
- 1tsp herbs de Provence
- 3/4c + 1Tb olive oil
- To roast garlic combine 15 cloves of garlic with 1Tb olive oil and 1 tsp salt. Roast at 350 for 45 minutes-1 hour. Roast till brown and tender it’ll let off a sweeter smell than normal garlic. mince once cooled
- To make marinade for eggplant combine 1 tsp of the following, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and herbs de provence to 3/4c olive oil.
- let sit for 15 -20 minutes.
- To grill eggplant heat cast iron and grill eggplant on oiled pan for 3 minutes on each side.
- Put a big pot of salt water on the stove and bring to a boil. Add in fideo and boil according to package instructions.
- To make sauce add butter to hot pan, add minced roasted garlic, shallots, minced fresh garlic and parsley and toss in pasta.
- Serve alongside grilled eggplant. Topped with more parmesan and chopped parsley.