Mu shu pork is one of my favorite take out items. Its pork, dried mushrooms and cabbage julienned. You eat it on a mandarin pancake that’s similar to a tortilla only paper thin. Compared to other Chinese dishes this one doesn’t have a ton of ingredients so you wont feel overwhelmed making it. All condiments are easily reusable and are great to have on hand. Here are three tips essential for a great mu shu anything.
1. Oyster sauce- Oyster sauce is essential in the dish. Its a oyster extract seasoned with salt and sugar. Its adds a earthy flavor, sweetness and tang. Its one of those hard to pinpoint ingredients that will take any dish you use it in up a notch. DO NOT confuse it with its cousin fish sauce.
2. Julienned EVERYTHING- The uniformity in this is actually pretty important. By julienning everything you’ll be able to work with a higher heat. Without running the risk of steaming the pork and vegetables apposed to stir frying.
3. Dried Mushrooms: Dried mushrooms in my opinion are a dish maker. Other than the earthly and umami flavor its provides to the over all dish. Its texturally iconic for a proper mu shu pork since the dried mushrooms add a nice bite to the dish.
Try this dish out and let me know what you think!
- 1.5lb Pork, julienned
- 1.5c Green Cabbage
- 1.5c Red Cabbage
- 1/4c Carrots, Julienned
- 6oz Dried Shitake Mushrooms, rehydrated
- 1/2c Green Onions
- 2Tb Soy Sauce
- 2Tb Hoisin Sauce
- 1Tb Oyster Sauce
- Cooking Spray
- 1 Egg
- 1.5lb Pork, Julienned
- 1/4c Soy Sauce
- 1TB Rice Vinegar
- 1tsp Sesame Oil
- 2TB Oyster Sauce
- 1/4c Hoisin Sauce
- 2Tb Garlic, minced
Green Onion Mandarin Pancakes
- 1.5c Boiling Water
- 2c All Purpose Flour
- 1tsp Salt
- 1/4 Green Onions, Minced
- MARINADE PORK: To make marinade for pork combine all ingredients and let sit for an hour to overnight. Remove from fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- MAKE PANCAKE BATTER: To make the green onion pancakes combine the boiling water to flour and salt. Using chopsticks combine till a shaggy ball is formed. Add in green onions. Turn out on to countertop and knead for 3 minutes until a elastic ball is formed. Let rest for a minimum of 45 minutes.
- COOK PANCAKES: Pancakes should definitely be a do ahead. Separate the dough into 12 balls and roll out thinly with flour. In a pan over medium heat add cooking spray ( cooking spray will keep you from frying tortilla) and cook each tortilla for about 1 minute per side.
- STIR FRY- Heat wok or cast iron low and slow first right before you’re ready to cook turn up to high. Separate meat from marinade and toss in the pan ( Do not over crowd pan). Cook pork for about 4 minutes till all indications of pink are gone. Once pork is out of the pan toss in mushrooms, carrots , cabbage, and green onions. Cook for about 3 minutes. Add in egg to side of veggies and scramble.
- SEASON: Once vegetables are cooked. season with 2Tb hoisin and soy sauce along with 1Tb oyster sauce. Taste and finish with salt. Combine with cooked pork.
- SERVE: To serve place pork over one tortilla top with additional hoisin (optional ) and sprinkle with green onions. ENJOY!