I woke up today wanting orange chicken. Then I realized I didn’t have any oranges. So I racked my brain for potential alternative. I settled on a lemon alternative because in all honesty, lemons are plentiful on the tree we have outside. I figured it’s always good to have a alternative. Then I realized its Friday. Which is my usual grocery shopping day so I wasn’t in quite the pickle I initially assessed. But true to form after working out how id fry up some garlic and chilis, add some fresh lemon juice then thicken it up with honey I couldn’t get the ” What could have been” for this recipe out of my head. I’m glad I stuck with my gut because this lemon chicken is some stiff competition for the traditional orange. Check it out and let me know what you think.
- 6 Chicken Breast, cut into small bites
- 2 Eggs
- 2c Flour
- 3/4c Cornstarch
- 4c Cooking Oil
- Green Onion, chopped- Garnish
- Basil, torn- Garnish
Lemon Thai Chili Sauce
- 2c Lemon Juice
- 3/4c Honey
- 1Tb Rice Vinegar
- 1Tb Ginger, grated
- 10 Cloves Garlic, sliced
- 3 Thai Chilis, sliced
- 3tsp Cornstarch
- 1Tb Lemon Zest
- 1Tb Cooking Oil
- 1tsp Salt
- 1Tb Soy Sauce
- 1Tb White Sugar
- SEASON CHICKEN: Season cut up chicken generously with salt and pepper. Incorporate the two eggs and let sit.
- MAKE SAUCE: To make sauce add oil to a pan at medium high heat. Add in garlic and chilis. Cook for about 5 minutes. Till it starts to brown from the frying. Once garlic is cooked add in lemon juice, honey, vinegar, soy sauce, salt, sugar, zest, and ginger. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes. Once reduce by 1/4. Scoop 1/4 of a cup of the sauce in a measuring cup then add in cornstarch. Once cornstarch is mixed and not clumped return back to the pot and let simmer for 5 more minutes.
- HEAT OIL: Heat cooking oil till temperature reached 375.
- DREDGE CHICKEN: Combine the cornstarch with the flour. Toss in chicken till its coated.
- FRY CHICKEN: Working in batches, fry chicken for about 8 minutes. Till it floats and is golden brown. ( Cooking times vary depending on size of the chicken)
- TOSS CHICKEN: Remove chicken straight from oil using a slotted spoon. Toss straight into sauce.
- PLATE: Serve chicken over steamed white rice. Sprinkle on some green onions and fresh basil.