Everyone has fond memories of chicken noodle soup. Its the number one request I receive when people around me are falling ill. Its warm, soothing and comforting. It has a long standing history as a cure-all.
Chicken noodle soup seems to be one of those dishes that everyone has a story for, they know who makes the best or swear by this or that recipe. People get rather intense about their generational recipes. Anytime you even read anything about noodle soup the word “grandmother” is not far behind. Well for everyone looking for the grandma standard. This quick and simple version would make any grandmother proud and the canned soup eater change their preferences.
If you want to shortcut this recipe? Here are some tips!
- Use leftover or rotisserie chicken
- Don’t go overboard with the noodles! They swell!
- If you’re using the oven anytime before the recipe even the night before just pop in the garlic to do ahead.
- 2 Chicken Breast
- 1c Carrots, chopped
- 2 Celery, chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 15 Cloves Roasted Garlic
- 1tsp Thyme, chopped
- 1tsp Rosemary, chopped
- 1tsp Oregano, chopped
- 2 Bay leaves
- Olive Oil
- 5c Chicken Broth
- 1/2c Fideo Noodles
- ROAST GARLIC: Place garlic bulbs in foil coat with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast at 300 for 50 minutes.
- COOK CHICKEN: Start off by seasoning chicken generously with salt and pepper. Heat Dutch oven over medium high heat and sear chicken on both sides for about 5 minutes on each side. Remove and set to the side. Once cooled chop chicken.
- ADD VEG: Once chicken is removed add in garlic, onion, celery, and carrots.
- ADD STOCK: Add in chicken stock, chicken, rosemary, thyme, oregano and bay leaves.
- BOIL/SIMMER: Bring stock to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- SEASON: Once soup is done add in fideo pasta and season generously with salt and pepper to taste. Once fideo is cooked serve and enjoy!