Charred thinly sliced barbecue pork tossed in a sweet and sticky banana ketchup bbq sauce
This dish is seriously my favorite pork dish. Its the perfect tender crispy meat with a sweet and spicy sticky sauce. I was really in the mood for char sui pork since I know my recipe for it pretty much by heart I figured I’d throw the marinade together and have a easy cook day. While retrieving ingredient I realized certain things just weren’t happening. I had little hoisin but I decided to make due. I had some banana sauce that I figured could replace the consistency of hoisin. If you are unfamiliar with banana sauce its also referred to as “banana ketchup” it is popular in the Philippines and closely resembles ketchup. So I knew I could get a good crust from it. Make this dish in small batches at really high heat to get a nice sear and if you have any leftover sauce heat in the pan after and toss the pork in it!
- 2/3 c Banana Sauce
- 2Tb hoisin sauce
- 3lb Pork Shoulder. Thinly sliced
- 1/3c Soy Sauce
- 1Tb Chinese 5 Spice Powder
- 1/3c Honey
- 1Tb Black Pepper
- PREPARE MARINADE: To make marinade combine banana sauce, hoisin, honey, soy sauce, five spice powder and black pepper.
- SEASON MEAT: Season meat lightly with sea salt.
- MARINADE: Toss marinade in with pork and leave covered for 3+ hours to overnight.
- HEAT CAST IRON: Heat cast iron over high heat add cooking oil to the pan.
- GRILL PORK: In small batches cook thinly sliced pork. Bast each batch with cooking marinade to make sticky. Till dark brown about 4 minutes.
- TOSS:Continue till all pork is done. If you have any more marinade add it too the pan bring to a boil and toss all the pork in stir till coated.
- SERVE: Serve over steamed rice and veggies.