Taquitos are probably on my top ten items I prefer to make at home over a restaurant. They can take a little practice, a lot of time and some finesse. When I first started making taquitos my frustration level were through the roof. With a little research I’ve found my stride. Some important tips to rememeber when making taquitos to keep them from unrolling :
1. The tortilla -Not all tortillas are created equal. You want a pliable, thin tortilla. Thick and dry I guarantee will make you walk out of the kitchen.
2. Cool filling – Now this should be obvious. As I reflect I can remember a time or two burning my finger tips trying to roll hot filling.
3. Pre frying tortilla- This is a similar technique I use when rolling enchiladas. It takes 98% of the frustration away. All you do is heat a little oil and quickly cook the tortilla on both sides. The key is to cook the tortilla partially not completely.
4. Remove the toothpicks once done.
Hopefully with these few tips. It’ll take the edge off! Don’t be too alarmed. Once you get the hang of it these taquitos are smooth sailing. You can make any type of filling. Roll and freeze them for later and have them on hand when you need them. Try these out and let me know what you think!
- 3 Chicken Breast
- 1- 12 oz. Beer
- 2 Pasilla Chile Peppers
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2c Monterrey Jack Cheese, shredded
- Garlic Powder
- 2tsp coriander
- 2tsp Achiote Powder
- 25 Corn tortillas
- 1c Boiling Water
- 4c Cooking Oil
- Pico de Gallo, for garnish (optional)
- Queso Blanco, for dipping (optional)
- Sour Cream, garnish (optional)
- SEASON CHICKEN- Generously season both sides of chicken with salt, pepper, coriander and garlic powder.
- REHYDRATE CHILES- Pour 1c of boiling water over dried pasilla peppers. Let sit for 15 minutes. Once soft remove stem and add in with the chicken.
- ROAST CHICKEN– Add beer to chicken pan and roast chicken at 375 for 30 minutes till pull apart tender.
- PREFRY TORTILLAS– In about a inch of hot oil place corn tortillas in a pan for 30 seconds on each side. (You do not want any color). Transfer to separate plate and let cool before handling.
- SHRED CHICKEN– Shred chicken, onions and pepper using two forks at this point add in achiote powder while chicken is hot. Let cool before handling.
- ROLL TAQUITOS– Fill each tortilla with about two tablespoons of filling and 1Tb of cheese. Roll taquitos and secure with a toothpick. Continue till all tortillas are used.
- FRY TAQUITOS– Heat oil to 375 degrees F. Fry taquitos in batches for about 4 minutes. Till golden brown and crunchy. Place on cooling rack to drain excess oil.
- REMOVE TOOTHPICKS!
- SERVE- Once toothpicks are removed top taquitos with sour cream, pico and serve them up with your favorite dipping sauce