I have many things about the cold I just love one thing in particular is a toasty house. When the house is nice and warm I love to pull out a frozen loaf of bread dough and proof it on the counter oven night covered with a towel so I wake up in morning and the kitchen smells yeasty and its just perfect conditions for making bread!
I generally always have bread dough in the freezer whether its leftover from homemade bread or store bought when I don’t feel like kneading out my own dough. Its a time saver and I love to have bread on hand.
Let me clarify the title. This is a sausage wrapped in a cooked egg. I laid the egg on my thinnest sheet pan so that I wouldn’t over do it and baked it in the oven. The egg is mixed with sundried tomatoes and spinach if that helps you wrap your head around this recipe.
- 8 sausage
- 2 loaves frozen bread dough, defrost and risen.
- 1/4c sundried tomatoes, fine diced
- 1 handful fresh spinach, chopped
- Parmesan-Romano grated cheese
- 1/4c half and half
- black pepper
- 3 egg yolks
- 1Tb Canola oil
- In a cast iron pan brown both sides of sausages and transfer to a baking sheet to wait for the eggs.
- In a bowl beat eggs and half and half. Add in spinach and sundried tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper
- In a shallow pan cover with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Add in egg and smooth from side to side.
- Transfer both sausage and eggs to oven cook sausage for 20 minutes. Eggs for 10 minutes.
- Once both come out of the oven let cool for 15 minutes. and cut eggs into four even rectangles.
- Roll out dough ( it helps to measure with a sausage to get it just right) place sausage on eggs, roll and transfer onto dough. Roll dough around egg and sausage.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Lay kolaches on top.
- Mix together 3 egg yolks with tablespoon canola oil and coat each kolache.
- Sprinkle with a little bit more parmesan, salt and black pepper.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
I make some with eggs some without and some spicy and some not so much. Play around with them and make the eggs how you like and add more or less to the filling
As you can see from the picture the sausage is releasing juices that would make your kolache soggy on the inside that why you want to finish cooking them in the oven and let them rest and cool .Also you can handle your sausage and eggs and so it doesn’t cook the inside.
I made some without eggs if you want all eggs double egg recipe and when your eggs come out of oven add in uncooked eggs to finish cooking with sausage.
Try It out and let me know what you think. Don’t forget to like, share, or comment!