In the South cornbread is always a option. Always. Everyone does it differently and its a generational thing. Some recipes have been handed down from generation to generation. Corn bread happens to be serious business around here.
For me I like to experiment with cornbread since it receives fun flavors very well and its incredibly easy to make. Especially when you need bread with dinner and have no time to proof any. I shouldn’t say just with dinner its actually really common for people to eat it with sugar and milk like cereal in a bowl.
It goes with anything. Try it out with tonight’s dinner!
- 3/4 c yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 c whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 jalapenos, seeded, small dice
- 1/2 cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1c half and half
- 4 Tb melted butter
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- In two separate bowl separate dry ingredients from wet.
- One bowl add in corn meal, baking powder, flour, salt.
- In another bowl add in egg, half and half, melted butter, and vinegar.
- Combine together and fold in jalapenos and cheese. DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Spray cast iron skillet with butter or cooking spray.
- Add in cornbread and bake at 400 for 25 minutes.