Grits and blue cheese are like a match made In heaven. I put this recipe together because I had leftover steak but no sides so I figured its about lunch time I want something quick and delicious. How about grits and since its with steak lets add some blue cheese! I also wanted something filling because it wasn’t really that much that was left over.
Now these grits are creamy and buttery, the bacon and green onions add so much crunch. You don’t have to wait to eat this with leftovers this dish can be a meal on it own.
- 1.5c whole milk
- 1/2c instant grits
- 2Tb butter
- 2Tb blue cheese crumbled
- 3 sprigs green onion, diced
- 6 strips bacon, chopped
- In a cast iron skillet. Cook and brown bacon. Set to the side and reserve 1 Tb of bacon grease as long as it isn’t burnt and discard the rest.
- Clean pan and melt butter.
- Add in milk and bacon grease then bring to a boil.
- Add in grits slowly and stirring continuously. Add in blue cheese then season with salt and pepper. Cover, remove from heat and let sit for 7 minutes.
- After the 7 minutes taste and season accordingly. Top with crispy bacon, green onions, butter and extra blue cheese.