I’m feeling a little bit under the weather and as much as that sucks I try and look for some silver lining. The only thing that makes being sick not a total bust is naps, tea and spicy food. Now I have to be really sick for a couple of bad things to get in the way of my relationship with food. I usually always can eat and generally my throat doesn’t hurt that bad .
When I’m sick I prefer to eat light since I normally just eat less. And when my taste buds kinda start to dull while I have a sore throat. Then my sense of smells gets weaker because of congestion. I like to add stuff with lots of garlic, something with some heat since I cant taste it anyways. Something raw and fresh since I’m sick and delicious healthy food will help me feel better way sooner than something fried, greasy, or fatty. So I made this two days because I knew the upcoming events of what’s to come with a cold. I just like to be prepared. That’s why pasta, soups, and rice dishes are great do ahead items for inevitable days like today. But for me personally, I eat a lot of pasta while I’m sick. I fully get and understand why people love soup. I hated soup as a kid and only now as adult have I learned to somewhat appreciate it. I just don’t naturally gravitate towards it. You don’t have to be sick to enjoy this pasta! Give it a try and let me know what you think!
- 1/2c Pistachios, Shelled and lightly salted
- 2 Bunches Parsley, stemmed lightly chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic,
- 1Tb Grated parmesan
- 1Tb Calabrian Chilis w/ oil
- 1tsp Salt
- 1/2tsp Black pepper
- 1/2tsp Lemon
- 1/4c Fresh basil
- 1.5c Olive oil
- 11oz Fettuccini
- 1lb Shrimp, Peeled and deveined
- 8oz Cremini Mushrooms , halved
- 1 bunch Asparagus, chopped into thirds
- 2Tb butter
- Olive oil
- To make pesto in a blender add in pistachios and garlic. Blend till pistachios start to break down.
- Add in parmesan, Calabrian chilis, lemon, 1tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper.
- Finally add in parsley, and basil. Slowly add in olive oil to desired thickness.
- In a large pot add in water and salt. Bring to a boil and cook fettuccini according to package instructions
- Roast mushrooms and asparagus buy coating generously with oil, salt and pepper. Place into 375 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. Veggies should be cooked but not mushy.
- Grill shrimp in a hot pan for about two minutes on each side. Upon coming out of the pan coat shrimp with a tablespoon or two of pesto. Once veggies and pasta are done. Combine everything together including butter and add about 1/4 c of pesto . More or less to your liking. Top generously with grated parmesan and enjoy!
- Pesto can be also made in food processor if you like a chunkier pesto.
- Be on the look out for a bunch of upcoming recipes featuring this pesto.