Double fried homemade crispy potato chips sprinkled with sea salt and creamy Borgonzola fondue.
Borgonzola was a knew one for me. While I was out at Aldi I love to check out their meats and cheese selection because they always have something different. I stumbled upon this Borgonzola. Now Borgonzola if you haven’t figured it out is a double whipped cross between gorgonzola cheese and brie it stems from Canada. It comes presented as brie complete with a outside rind and all. But once you cut into it you can see the flakes of green and blue like the gorgonzola we know and love. So at first glance the rind gives off a faint ammonia smell but once inside its pretty neutral. The actual cheese favors brie but the smell and taste are of a mild gorgonzola.
Once I found this at the store I had plans for this cheese. To make a creamy ooey gooey black and blue burger. But once I arrived home and noticed how creamy it was I decided ill save it for a rainy day. Then I remember I planned to recreate the crisps and fondue my mom and I had off Broadway before we saw “Cats”. So this was perfect. The ultra creamy Borgonzola melted like a dream. It left a mild gorgonzola blue cheese flavor while the brie added the stringy velvety texture we all want from a good cheese sauce. If you’re in the mood for the crispiest chips you every had and creamy fondue, this recipe is for you. Try it out and let me know what you think.
- 3 Russet Potatoes, medium. thinly sliced
- 1/2c Heavy Cream
- 5oz Borgonzola Cheese, rind removed
- 1/2c Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- Cooking Oil
- SOAK POTATOES: Thinly slice potatoes and place in cold ice water for a minimum of one hour. Dry potatoes thoroughly before frying.
- Make Fondue: To make fondue warm heavy cream in pan do not bring to a boil. Add in cheese and stir till melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- HEAT OIL 350: Fry chips for the first time in oil for 2 minutes till cooked but not falling apart.
- COOL AND DRY: Once chips are removed from grease place onto a paper towel to cool and dry.
- HEAT OIL 375: Fry chips till golden brown and crispy. Season with sea salt.
- ENJOY! Enjoy hot!