Fried green tomatoes some people love them, some people hate them but here in the south your at least gonna try them. Fried green tomatoes are so true to their name because its exactly that fried green tomatoes no frills and thrills. A lot of people just eat them with a bottle of hot sauce. The thing with green tomatoes is the core is bitter and hard so I eliminate it completely by eliminating the bitter hard core I’ve also remove the buttermilk bath that is commonly used on them. I find when you soak them in buttermilk and spice u actually have a less flavorful tomato so now I just season directly on the tomato let it sit for a couple minutes then trap that seasoning in with the breading which leads to a flavor packed tomatoes. Just a side note if your tomatoes look funny after being cored and sliced don’t worry once their breaded it makes a world of difference for the look.
- 2 green tomatoes
- cayenne pepper
- garlic powder
- creole seasoning
- onion powder
- 3 eggs + 2Tb milk
- 1.5c Corn meal
- 1.5c Flour
- vegetable oil
- 1/3 c mayo
- 1/3c horseradish
- 1Tb chopped dill pickles
- 1Tb chopped capers
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1/4tsp pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1Tb parsley, chopped
- Core and slice tomatoes about half a inch thick. You don’t want them too thick or too thin.
- Season on both sides with cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, creole seasoning and onion powder.
- To set up you dredging station set up flour first in a bowl, beat egg with milk and put in a separate container, in a third bowl add in corn meal and seasoning just thet cornmeal bowl with 1/2 Tb each of cayenne, salt, pepper, creole seasoning, onion and garlic powder.
- First coat tomatoes in flour, then egg mixture , finally coat in the seasoned cornmeal. try and keep a hand for wet ingredients and a hand for dry.
- Shake off extra cornmeal and set tomatoes to the side while oil heats up
- Heat a pan with about 2 inches of oil
- While the oil is heating make sauce by combing all ingredients together in a chilling in the fridge in the mean time.
- Fry tomatoes on both sides till brown for about 1 minute a side.
- transfer to paper towel to absorb the oil and season with salt coming out of the fryer.
- Once all the tomatoes are done serve with horseradish sauce and lemon wedges.