Highschool was my first time outside exposure to cooking that wasn’t just cooking from the comfort of my own home. One of the first recipes we learned to make was pound cake topped with strawberries, black pepper and a balsamic reduction .Fun Fact: It was also my first time making a balsamic reduction so I just remember doubting the recipe in the beginning then once we were done I thought it was the greatest thing in the world. Although I don’t often just eat it in sweets anymore I often find myself tossing my strawberries in balsamic in my day to day life.
- 1c Whole wheat pastry flour
- 1c all -purpose flour
- 1Tb baking powder
- 1/2tsp salt
- 4Tb sugar
- 1 stick of butter
- 3/4c milk
- 2.5tsp coarse black peppercorns
- 10oz strawberries, washed and halved
- 2Tb powder sugar
- 1c balsamic vinegar
- 2Tb sugar
- 1 tub cool whip
- Cane sugar
- In a blender add in flour, baking powder, salt , sugar, and black peppercorns. Pulse to combine.
- Cut COLD butter into slices. and add into blender. Run for a cuple seconds till butter is incorporated. Let rest for 1 minutes.
- Empty out on to counter. Make a well in the middle add in milk and mix to combine till its no longer sticky. Let rest for 5 minutes in the cold.
- Roll out biscuit dough till 1 inch thick. Cut round even circle with the edge of a glass.
- Top with cane sugar
- Heat oven for 350 for 16 minutes and bake
- Heat balsamic vinegar and sugar over medium heat at a boil for 15 minutes till vinegar is reduced and it coats the back of a spoon.
- Toss strawberries in powdered sugar
- Slice biscuit in half , layer with cool whip, strawberries, balsamic reduction, followed by the lid and repeating the layers one more time minus the lid.