This recipe I made up many years ago and I use it often times when I have a meat free day or am meat free for extended periods. This taco salad will completely have people fooled if they aren’t told what’s in it that’s how good it is.
- “Taco Meat”
- 6 button mushrooms
- 1/2c sundried tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 2Tb cilantro
- 1 red jalapeno
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 dried chili de arbol (optional)
- 1c hot water
- 1/3c pumpkin seeds or slivered almonds
- 1tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1tsp ground cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2c spring mix lettuce
- 1/2 sliced avocado
- 1/4c shredded carrots
- 2 radish, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 roma tomato, diced
- To make taco meat start by adding mushrooms into food processor and pulse till chopped finely.
- Place dried chili de arbol and sundried tomatoes in water and let sit for 5 minutes to soften.
- Place mushrooms in another bowl and add in red onion, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, and pumpkin seeds. Pulse till broken down to the size of the mushrooms. Add into bowl with mushrooms.
- Finally add in sundried tomatoes, water, and dried chilis along with cumin, salt, chili powder and black pepper. Run for 2 minutes till tomatoes form a paste. Add in mushrooms and all the previous ingredients Pulse till well combined. Remove from food processor, cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In the mean add spring mix to plate, top with carrots, red onion, tomatoes , avocado and radish. Add on taco meat and enjoy!
- If you don’t have sundried tomatoes you can always substitute tomato paste.
- Let “taco meat” sit to help break down mushrooms for a more cooked texture.
- This recipe is pretty spicy so seed you jalapenos.
- To add some crunch throw on some tortilla chips!