A good artichoke dip is kind of hard to find so I recommend this recipe and making your own. In the past when id look up artichoke dips they definitely seemed to lack spinach and the recipes more often than not came out watery. So I decided to make my own!
I love artichokes but they can be scary little things. They have to and I mean HAVE to be cleaned properly or say goodbye to your throat. They have a edible portion and a non edible that has the protective outer part and over course thorns!. Now if you want a stuffed artichoke, roasted or braised artichoke then there is no other way other than fresh but if you want to make it a dip or spread skip the nonsense and just go canned or jarred.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8oz cream cheese
- 1c asiago cheese, grated
- 1/2 parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3c mayo
- 1/3c sour cream
- 2Tb butter
- 1/4tsp white pepper
- 1/4tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 8oz can artichokes, drained
- 10 pepperoncini peppers, sliced
- 10 oz fresh spinach
- In a pan over medium heat, melt butter and saute onions for 7 minutes till brown and they develop some texture. Once brown enough season with salt.
- Cut the heat off. Add in garlic and spinach cover with a lid and let wilt.
- Let cool in the meantime. In a separate bowl combine cream cheese, sour cream, and mayo. Whip with a whisk till combined. Add in 1 tsp salt, black pepper and white pepper.
- Once the spinach and onions are cooled add it to cream cheese mix along with artichokes, asiago cheese, parmesan and pepperoncini.
- Transfer to a oven safe dish, bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Broil for a couple minutes till golden brown and bubbly.
- Don’t forget to serve with your favorite bread or cracker and a nice glass of wine.