When I think of comfort food other than the traditional southern classics, bibimbap always comes to mind. If you’re not familiar bibimbap its a rice dish full of goodies meant to be mixed around. I think the fact its so customizable makes it such a great warm comforting dish. You can put your favorite protein or veggies. The only must in my opinion is the nested egg on top.
I’m what you would call a egg hater. When I was a kid I couldn’t stand the sight, smell or look of eggs. I’ve deduced it down to a textural thing. When I was in culinary school I learned the value of a egg yolk! A egg yolk adds such deepness, richness and flavor to so much that would be otherwise pretty plain. Egg whites, I cant say too much bad about them because I bake with them and what not. but alone absolutely not. im one of those that break the yolk and toss the rest to the side. Eggs happen to be a weakness for me. In this dish it is a absolute necessity.
The great thing about rice dishes is during the week you can throw your leftovers in, boil some rice, add a pinch of this and that and enjoy! Try this recipe out and let me know what you think!
- 3 Chicken breast
- 1/2c sambal garlic chili sauce
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 green onions
- 1tb soy sauce
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 4 oz beer
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 leeks, chopped, quartered
- 6 oz Mushrooms , thick sliced
- 3 serrano peppers, split (seeded optional)
- 1 lime, quartered
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2c broccoli florets
- 1c jasmine rice
- 1.5c water
- To make the marinade combine beer, sambal, garlic, green onions, soy sauce, sesame oil and salt.
- Chop chicken into chunk and add to marinade. Let sit for 1 hour to overnight.
- Make rice by bringing 1.5c of water to a boil, add in rice , reduce to simmer and cook according to package instructions.
- Sear chicken in hot cast iron or wok for 10 minutes.( Timing depends on size of chicken, cook thoroughly) Working in batches never over crowd the pan.
- Once chicken is done and as long as bottom isn’t burnt. Toss in mushroom, serrano peppers and leeks. Cook on both sides for about 3 minutes each sprinkle with salt once finished. Toss in broccoli at this point and sauté for 6 minutes.
- For crispy broccoli toss in air fryer and air fry for 15 minutes at 400.
- Fry your egg in a non stick skillet with a light amount of oil for one minute. Lowering the heat once egg is in the pan to cook the whites leaving a runny yolk.
- Assemble by adding rice at the bottom. Followed by chicken and veggies. Topping it all off with your egg. Sriracha mayo optional, Serve with limes, spring rolls and chopsticks!