It is great to be back!
Today I decided to go big. So I got a beautiful salmon and decided to stuff it! Anytime I have wine in the cabinet and cream in the fridge (which is all the time). I know its time for a cream sauce. Bonus points if I have mushrooms that haven’t turned yet and crawfish tails in the freezer.
Now when I was a kid I actually preferred seafood way more than I do now. We had a Cajun restaurant we’d frequent often after swim practice that I absolutely adored. But I always got the same things either a shrimp po’boy or blackened mahi mahi with a cheesey crawfish sauce over dirty rice. If we’re being honest on the rare occasions I visit now, I still only select those two things. I don’t know, it something about a stress free, know what you’re gonna order, don’t mess with the classics menu that I thoroughly enjoy. Because I’m absolutely one of those that views the menu to restaurants upon planning where to go, before getting ready to leave out, in the car and at the restaurant ONLY to flip a coin once seated. I’m one of those “everything looks so good” kind of people.
So today I decided I need some comfort. This recipe did the absolute trick. The only thing else I could have asked for was some cold weather to enjoy it in. Maybe next time. Try this dish out and let me know what you think!
If you need a blackened seasoning recipe check this one out for my blackened chicken po’boy.
SIDE NOTE: You need a very sharp knife for this recipe!
- 3lb Salmon Filet
- Blackened Seasoning
- Creole Seasoning
- 3 Green Onions, chopped
- 2c Sourdough Bread, cubed and dried
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper, cubed
- 2 Celery, diced
- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 6 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1c Vegetable Stock
- 1tsp Salt
- 1tsp Dill
- 1tsp Black Pepper
- 1tsp Gumbo File
- 2c Half and Half
- 2Tb Butter
- 2Tb Flour
- 1c Mushrooms, sliced
- 8oz Crawfish Tails
- 1c White Wine
- 1tsp Creole Seasoning
- 1tsp Garlic Powder
- BUTTERFLY SALMON: Butterfly salmon filet with a sharp filet or pairing knife. To filet salmon split lengthwise down the middle and slowly guide your knife under the flesh to make what would look like two double doors for the pocket.
- MAKE STUFFING: To make stuffing sauté onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- ADD BREAD: Toss with dried bread.
- HYDRATE AND SEASON: Add in vegetable stock and season with salt, dill, gumbo file, and black pepper.
- STUFF: Stuff into salmon filet
- SEASON: Season salmon generously with blackened seasoning and Cajun seasoning.
- BROIL: Broil on low for 20 minutes.
- MAKE CRAWFISH SAUCE: To make crawfish and mushroom sauce.
- SWEAT/ START ROUX: Sauté mushrooms with butter for about 3 minutes. Once mushrooms are cooked add in flour and cook for another 2 minutes. Add in half and half and simmer for 15 minutes.
- SIMMER WINE: In a separate pan add in white wine and simmer till reduced by half then add into cream sauce. Once wine is added.
- SEASON: Season with creole seasoning and garlic powder. Once sauce is done add in crawfish.
- ENJOY: Transfer salmon onto serving platter and top with crawfish sauce.