I love making granola. I started making my own granola when I was the Head Chef at a raw vegan restaurant a couple years back.
If you’re familiar with making granola you know there can be two major hurdles to overcome one being oil and the other being excess sweeteners. The main reason I started making my own granola was because I was watching a cooking a show one day and the host put about three-fourths a cup of oil in their granola and baked it . That sent off alarms in my head because I don’t want oil in my granola! Especially canola oil. So I did some research and that’s pretty much the standard.
On the flipside, sugar. Its so sneaky. When we would make granola at the restaurant we used an ungodly amount of agave and that didn’t sit right with me either. So I had to make my own just to put my mind to rest. So for my go to granola my base is always unsalted nut butter and honey. The fresh nut butter provides more than enough oil, fat, and binding. While the honey adds a light sweetness (unlike its overbearing friend agave) and helps everyone completely stay together.
Once you make your own granola you’ll never turn back! Try this recipe out and let me know what you think!
- 2c Rolled Oats
- 2c Almond Butter
- 1c Carrots, shredded
- 3/4c Honey
- 1Tb Vanilla
- 1/4tsp Salt
- 1/2c Dried Cherries
- 8oz Cream Cheese
- 1/4c Coconut Cream
- 1/4c Powdered Sugar (optional)
- Dried cherries, garnish (optional)
- Slivered Almonds , garnish (optional)
- WET INGREDIENTS: Combine almond butter, honey, and vanilla in a bowl.
- DRY INGREDIENTS: Fold in oats, salt, dried cherries, and carrots.
- PRESS INTO PAN: Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Evenly spread granola and top with more parchment paper. Take a equal pan or using just your hand apply pressure to bars.
- CHILL: Chill bars and let sit overnight.
- TOPPING: To make topping whip cream cheese, powdered sugar and coconut cream. Once topping is smooth. Cut add on top of granola. Sprinkle with extra almonds and dried cherries