Seared lemongrass marinated beef, crisp cucumbers, shredded carrots, and jalapenos all folded up burrito-style in a pillowy soft green onion pancake.
Green onion pancakes are some of my favorite things to make. They are a lightly leavened buttery flatbread dough that has fresh green onions throughout They consist of a four-ingredients that comes together in about 7 minutes.
TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST LEMONGRASS AND CUCUMBER SCALLION PANCAKE SANDWICHES
marinade the beef: the lemongrass is light and airy flavor. So to get it into the beef is with more contact. so that means mince the meat ahead of time. so that more area comes into contact with the marinade. making it able to permeate more of the meat,
do the dough ahead: this simple recipe can easily turn overwhelming if you try to rush. the key is to relax and do everything in parts. this Bahn mi is meant to be eaten cool or at room temperature. it even turns out great wrapped up the next day from the fridge. so do the wraps ahead of time then make them the next day. they can be done ahead of cooking the meat in the same pan
brush the pan: for the sake of not deep frying. i brush the pan. to keep the bread dough texture light and fluffed. i brush the skillet with cooking oil so that it doesn’t stick but doesn’t fry the dough:
warm water: warm helps activate the gluten and helps with the chew in the final product. so make sure the water isn’t ice cold. too hot just makes it too hot to handle. let the dough rest once kneaded/
self-rising flour: self-rising flour has a little leavener in it. so it allows for a second puff after it has heat applied to it. i use self-rising flour because it gives my bread a little more hold when i wrap them around the sandwiches.
don’t move them around the pan: when you roll the pancakes out the final time make sure when you grab and place them in the pan you avoiding moving them around till you see a light crust around the edges. since the dough needs to be super thin and has the green onions in it you run the risk of tearing the dough.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
- ASIAN BEEF WITH CABBAGE SLAW
- MU SHU PORK W/ GREEN ONION MANDARIN PANCAKES
- HOISIN AND LEMONGRASS STEAK TACOS
ENJOY THIS RECIPE WITH:
- SOBA NOODLE SALAD W/ GINGER CHILI SAUCE
- HOISIN AND BEER MARINATED PORK CHOPS
- CRAB AND SHRIMP LINGUINE W/ RED CHILI GARLIC BUTTER
Lemongrass Beef and Cucumber Scallion Pancakes
- 1 lb Carne Picada Beef minced
- 10 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Tb Fresh Ginger minced
- 1/3 c Soy sauce
- 4 Tb Hosin sauce
- 2 Tb Sriracha
- Black Pepper
- 1 Tb Cilantro minced
- 2 Tb Rice wine vinegar
Green Onion Pancakes
- 2 c Self-rising flour
- 1 c Warn water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Tb Olive oil
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 3/4 c Green onions sliced thinly
- Canola Oil
- 1 Cucumber sliced
- 1 Jalapeno sliced
- 2 Tb Cilantro
- 1/2 c Carrots shredded
- Soy sauce
- Sambal Chili Sauce
- To make the marinade start off by combing all ingredients listed and seasoning lightly with salt and pepper.
- Let the marinade sit for 2 hours or to overnight.
- Make the dough ahead of time. Combine the flour and salt in bowl. Using a rubber spatula add in water and oil. Once formed Knead for about five minutes until a smooth ball is formed.
- Let the dough rest for an hour. Then seperate into 6-8 equal sized balls.
- Sear the meat and allow it to cool. Prep your veggies in this time
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Brush the surface with canola oil. Thinly roll out a green onion pancake and place it in the pan so that the entire surface is touching. Flip once the edges start to turn brown so for about 1 minute. Repeat the process till all the pancakes are done.
- Build the sandwiches by placing a layer of carrots, cilantro, green onions, meat, and some jalapeno for some spice. Top it off with a shake of soy sauce and some sweet hoisin sauce.