I love swiss chard its one of my favorite cooked greens but there are a couple rules to dealing with it.
- Wash it well. I’m not talking a quick rinse I’m talking running it a nice cold bath in the sink then giving it some down time.
- Cut the ends.
- Always invite acid to the party. It’ll help cut the bitterness.
Now with greens like these that just need to be cooked for the most part. I find myself not giving them too much thought. Its usually butter, some sort of meat, like smoked turkey or bacon, onions and garlic and time. The problem with that is sometimes I feel like I voided all aspects of health in the matter of adding four ingredients. Then the lack of veggie guilt sets it.
With this swiss chard I knew I had to shake it up so I basically added the kitchen sink and I’m so glad I did. Its is probably my favorite veggie forward chard dish to date. Check it out and if you guys make it let me know what you think!
- 2 bundles Red Swiss Chard, chopped
- 1 green bell , sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1Tb garlic, chopped
- 1tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tsp black pepper
- 1Tb hoisin Sauce
- 1c Pitted and stemmed cherries
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- Start off by filling sink or bowl with cold water. Place swiss chard directly in sink and let sit for 10 minutes. Move swiss chard throughout the water. Place swiss chard in colander and run cold water over it get out and remaining dirty.
- Let sit in colander till ready to be used.
- In a hot pan add in green bell peppers, leeks, and celery. Let cook for a couple minutes.
- Add in swiss chard and cherries and toss together. Let cook for a couple minutes till chard starts to wilt.
- Add in soy sauce, vinegar, hoisin, salt, and pepper.
- Cook for another 2 minutes and serve warm. Top with sesame seeds and enjoy!