You know those kind of things that you try and its like where have you been all my life? How did i survive for so long without this? Calabrian chilis are absolutely that for me. Calabrian’s are something i’ve always heard of but never tried. Actually, when i tried them i didn’t realize they were Calabrian for about another year. When i first tried Calabrian chilis i was in Frankfurt, Germany at a really cool pizza shop. On the table they had peppers in oils and that’s were this love story started. After getting back from Germany i obsessed over this pizza, thought about it constantly. Even regularly looked them up for ANY sort of indication of what kind of peppers they were. No, it didn’t occur to me to ask at the time. Probably because i had a couple pints with my pizza. Anyways, after enough complaining and reminiscing my dad figured out what they were. That’s when life changed. Calabrians are actually pretty hard to come by here surprisingly. They are crazy expensive here (but worth it) . I’m actually thinking about just growing them myself. They add incredible flavor and a really nice punch from the heat to just about anything. Once you try them on a pizza you’ll ditch the red pepper flakes! Try them out and let me know what you think!
- 2lb fingerling potatoes
- 9 Calabrian Chilis
- 2TB Calabrian Chili Oil, chopped w/ seeds
- 4Tb butter
- 10 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2Tb Flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp black pepper
- To make potatoes add butter and Calabrian oil to a pan over medium heat.
- Add in garlic and Calabrian chilis. Reduce to low to infuse into oil and butter. Keep moving around the pan for a couple minutes. Add in potatoes and toss in oil.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper and toss.
- Add in to a preheat 350 degree oven for 40 minutes till you can poke with a fork and it slides out smoothly with no resistance.
- Toss around again in the butter and oil. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.