Honestly, crispy chicken is always something I’ll say yes too. I’m not talking fried chicken on the bone because if I’m being honest I’m not a huge fried chicken on the bone fan. Sure I enjoy it occasionally but its not a staple for me. I really enjoy thinly pounded chicken like a schnitzel. If you never heard of schnitzel it’s generally veal but you can use any type of thinly pounded protein it’s then breaded and fried. If you’ve never had schnitzel seriously get out there and try it . Topped with a lemony-briny gremolata, along with some fresh greens and we are seriously in business. Now once a week I have to have crispy chicken with some sort of pasta then usually the next day I make a crispy chicken wrap out of it and I’m the happiest person ever. Lately I’ve been playing around with toppings for my chicken so I don’t get too repetitive but sometimes, you just like what you like. This time I made a gremolata. A gremolata is a chopped condiment. Its usual base is parsley, garlic, and lemon zest. It’s not technically a sauce due to lack of liquid but its not a pesto or chimichurri either. Although its closely related and have similar looks. Condiment is the only way to refer to it since its in this weird space of its own. Anyways, its delicious try it out and let me know what you think!
- 4 chicken breast, halved and lightly pounded
- 2eggs + 2Tb heavy cream or milk, whisked
- 2c Bread crumbs, fine
- 1/2 grated parmesan
- 1c All purpose flour
- 1/4c Parsley, grated
- 1tsp salt
- 1Tb crushed red pepper flakes
- 2tsp black pepper
- 2Tb capers, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1tsp Anchovy paste
- 3c Canola Oil
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. Let sit while you make breading for chicken.
- To make the breading for chicken combine bread crumbs, flour,1/4c grated parmesan, 1tsp salt and pepper, 1Tb crushed red pepper and parsley.
- Dunk chicken in cream and eggs mixtures. Toss in bread crumbs while pressing firmly. Let chicken sit on a wired rack for 15 minutes prior to cooking.
- To make the topping combine remaining parsley with 1 tsp black pepper, anchovy paste, capers, shallots, and garlic. Followed by lemon zest and juice. Stir to combine.
- Heat canola oil in a pan once oil is hot pan fry chicken for 6 minutes on each side to golden brown and cooked throughout.
- Top cooked chicken with parsley topping, followed by leftover grated parmesan ands some red pepper flakes for some kick!