I love carne picada tacos. Its quick, easy and delicious. Let me explain why carne picada is a little different than the more common fajita. Fajita means thin strips and carne picada means minced meat. Generally when you make fajitas its whole marinated meat. Often a tougher cut marinated in lime or other acids then once cooked and rested sliced into the stripes. Carne picada on the flip side is minced meat prior to cooking. So season, cook, eat and repeat ..well the eat part. Since carne picada is minced prior to cooking or marinating its already has the tougher part broken down so it actually cuts marinating time down significantly. You’re really marinating for flavor other than fajitas you’re marinating to tenderize.
Now when I make carne picada its a kitchen sink type of taco for me. Any peppers, onions, spices all find their way in. Heck, even beer that im not too fond off ill throw in just to use it up. Try it out and let me know what you think!
- 1.5-2lb carne picada
- 1 Large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and sliced lengthwise
- Flour Tortillas
- 1Tb garlic powder
- 3 limes, juiced
- 2 tsp, salt
- 1Tb black pepper
- 1/4c cotija cheese
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1/4c cilantro
- Marinate carne picada by combing 1 large sliced yellow onion, sliced jalapenos, Tb each garlic powder, black pepper, and cilantro , juice of 2 limes, plus 1 tsp salt
- Toss all together and let sit for 30 minutes to overnight.
- To make pico de gallo combine roma tomatoes, diced medium yellow and red onions, 1-2 Tb cilantro,1 lime squeezed and 1 tsp salt.
- Heat a cast iron skillet to medium high heat working in batches of 3. Cook carne picada for about 5 minutes. Till fully browned. Set to the side and repeat till all meat is cooked.
- Heat flour tortillas, top with carne picada, pico de gallo, Top with some cotijia cheese, cilantro and some lime. Enjoy!
Haha! Well I can’t blame the logic.
You had me at jalapeños and steak lol!! What’s a man to do? lol!
Oh my goodness! Thank you! that just made my weekend!!!
You’re my favorite food blogger, you know that don’t you?? Lol!!!
Comments are closed.