I like to call this “A tale of two classics” like some sort of ridiculous love story that weren’t meant to be but were meant to be if you get my drift. I love beef stroganoff but with the classic egg noodle though I feel the sauce always falls off the noodle. So it got me thinking how can I get everyone to stay on one fork together. So that automatically added cheese and a wider pasta . LASAGNA! you guessed it lasagna was the perfect vehicle. ill be the first to tell you this was the creamiest, rich , heartiest lasagna I ever had. Its a rich dish so its definitely a treat. I like to serve mine with fresh raw tomatoes seasoned with salt and pepper and peppery arugula. Another a side note so you can learn from my mistakes. Grate your cheese! if I could do one thing different it would be that other than that id give this dish a 10/10.
- 1.5-2 lb Beef sirloin roast
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 3cloves of garlic
- 4c-6c beef stock
- 6sprigs thyme
- 1TB Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2c sour cream
- 4 Large onions sliced
- 3Tb butter
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1/2lb grated swiss cheese
- 1/2lb grated gruyere cheese
- 2Tb vegetable oil
- 2bay leaves
- 1/2c sour cream
- Generously sprinkle salt and pepper on beef
- In a hot cast iron pan sear beef on all sides.
- After all the beef is seared add in 1onions, 3 cloves of garlic, 3 sprigs of thyme, bay leaves Worcestershire, and beef stock.
- Simmer for 3-4 hours till beef is tender. Once beef is tender remove lid and reduce the liquid in the pot by half.
- Once reduced remove bay leaves, shred beef with a fork and add in sour cream. Taste and season with salt and pepper
- In a new pan add in 3Tb butter, melt then add in remaining onions and thyme. Cook the onions till they start to brown about 5 minutes. add in 1 tsp salt and black pepper. While your doing this boil pasta in water according to package instructions. Drain and set to the side.
- To assemble first put stroganoff mixture at the bottom followed by noodles, meat, caramelized onions, gruyere and swiss. Repeat till all ingredients are used up. Anything leftover would make a killer grilled sandwich so if u have extra just use it.
- Finish lasagna with cheese and season with fresh black pepper.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes let sit for 30 minutes.