I often take request, because ya know why not. With request I never know what to expect and surprisingly I got a lot of request for shrimp cocktail. When I was thinking of what to do with this dish. I thought about the fact that bloody marys and shrimp cocktail have hit a huge wave in recent years in popularity. Now, people have gone to great lengths to enhance and do these big elaborate things with a bloody mary .I’m sure you’ve seen the ones that come with a whole sandwich, po’boy or even a chicken slapped on top. Seriously, if you’ve haven’t, google them they are wild. But not much has changed with the shrimp cocktail. So I thought lets make a bloody mary sauce to dunk in since it seems to be the obvious choice. And if you look at the bloody mary and traditional cocktail sauce the ingredients are almost identical. Try it out, these were a hit and let me know what you think!
- 15 Jumbo Shrimp, tail-on peeled and deveined
- 2c vegeatable broth
- 1 small onion, peeled and halved
- 1 celery stock, rough chopped
- 1tsp salt
- 6oz Tomato Paste
- 2Tb horseradish
- 1 celery stalk, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1/2tsp Worcestershire
- 1/2tsp black pepper
- 1/2tsp salt
- 3-5 shakes tabasco sauce
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1tsp vodka
- 2c ice cubes
- 2c water
- To make shrimp cocktail sauce combine tomato paste with horseradish, grated celery and garlic cloves, Worcestershire, 1/2tsp pepper and salt, tabasco, lemon and vodka. Refrigerate.
- To make boil for shrimp combine. vegetable broth with small onion, 1 stalk of celery and 1tsp salt. Bring to a boil and boil shrimp for 3 minutes till pink and cooked.
- Have a ice water bath ready to put shrimp in to immediately cool.
- Remove shrimp from hot water and immediately place in ice bath.
- Serve cooled shrimp with cold Cocktail sauce. Enjoy!