Crusty baguette topped with sautéed spinach seared skirt steak, brown butter radishes, roasted mushrooms, whole roasted sweet garlic and green onions.
Steak on toast is one of my favorite ways to use up leftover steaks or roast. I enjoy it over crusty bread and usually a sautéed vegetable to really tie it together. For this recipe I tried to minimize the amount of dishes I produced and tried to maximize flavor by building in layers. This recipe utilizes a tougher cut of meat feel free to use any cut you have on hand. Check out my tips and tricks below for the perfect steak on toast. Try this recipe out and let me know what you think!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE BEST STEAK ON TOAST:
The crustier the bread the better: For this kind of dish the crustier and harder the bread the better. That way when you start to pile on the spinach, meat and the residual brown butter it absorbs into the bread, softening it but not mushing the bread and it making soggy.
don’t rinse your pan: for a dish like this you really don’t need much. to keep the dishes low and to impart more flavor once the steak come out of the cast iron immediately wilt the spinach. once the spinach is wilted you can even remove that from the pan and keep warm in the oven and brown your radishes in the same pan as well.
marinate skirt steak; you can use any kind of steak for this dish really i used skirt steak because that’s what I had on hand. if you’re using a tougher cut of meat like skirt make sure to marinade it for 24 hours prior to use. if you’re using a easier cut of meat like ribeye, strip, tenderloin skip the 24 hour marinade.
dont toss the marinade: once you remove the meat from the marinade reserve it to build flavor and toss your spinach in. this is a zero waste dish!
roast garlic ahead of time: roasted garlic is one of those things that can always be done ahead because it takes a while. you don’t want to be waiting on garlic so make sure to either start it first. that way you can work with a warm oven after its done or do it way ahead of time.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
- CLASSIC RIBEYE W/ SHITAKE AND CARMALIZED ONION BUTTER
- GARLIC FLAT IRON STEAK
- STEAK AND CHICKEN FAJITA PLATTER
ENJOY THIS RECIPE WITH:
- 2lb Skirt Steak, trimmed
- 10oz Crushed Tomates
- 1c Red Wine
- 1Tb Salt
- 1Tb Sugar
- 1tsp Crushed Red Pepper flakes
- 6 Garlic Cloves, crushed or minced
- 2c Button Mushrooms, halved
- 1 Sprig Rosemary
- 1 Spring Thyme
- 3c Baby Spinach
- 1 Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 1/2 Stick Butter
- 1.5c Radishes, halved
- 10-15 Garlic Cloves, whole
- 1Tb Olive OIl
- Salt Pepper
- MARINADE STEAK: Combine crushed tomatoes, red wine, tablespoon salt, sugar, crushed red peppers, minced garlic thyme and rosemary. Add in skirt steak and marinade overnight minimum.
- ROAST GARLIC: Combine olive oil, whole garlic and a tsp salt into a foil pouch and roast at 300 degrees for 45 minutes-1 hour till garlic is golden brown and soft.
- SEAR STEAK: Remove the steak from the fridge and marinade for 30 minutes prior to cooking. Pat steak dry and season generously with salt and pepper. Sear in hot cast iron and 1Tb canola oil for 3-4 minutes on both sides. Let steak rest for 10 minutes prior to cutting.
- SAUTE SPINACH: Once steak is removed from the pan. Add in mushrooms and onion and Sautee to pick up the extra bits at the bottom. Scoop out as many mushrooms as you can. Then Add in the bag of marinade that you marinated the steak in. Bring to a boil, and add in spinach and toss till spinach is wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- BROWN BUTTER: in a sauté pan add in butter and cook over medium heat till it starts to brown and smell nutty. Add in radishes cut side down and sauté for about 3 minutes on both sides. Season with salt and pepper.
- BUILD: Now that the radish done cut steak against the grain to have ready. Toast bread, add on sautéed spinach, top with steak pieces, place the radishes on top drizzle it with some leftover brown butter and top with whole roasted sweet garlic. Feel free to finish with finishing rock salt or green onions.