Cast iron seared ribeye steak topped with a savory reconstituted shitake mushrooms and sweet caramelized onion compound butter.
Ribeye’s are a great cut of meat. They have a great fat to meat ratio and they are always a crowd pleaser. Personally making a steak at home is way better than even your favorite steakhouse, since you can put a lot of love and attention into it. Making a steak at home can be a little daunting at first but after some practice it becomes second nature just follow the tips and tricks below and you’ll be a steak cooking master in no time. For this recipe I made a earthy compound butter to really send everything home. Have fun with it! Make your steak your own and how you like it. Try out this recipe and let me know what you think!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE BEST RIBEYE AND COMPOUND BUTTER:
rest your steak twice: resting your steak twice is key. the first rest comes before you even start your steak. you want to pull the steak from the refrigerator and let it sit for a minimum of thirty minutes prior to cooking. the second rest comes in immediately after you finish the cook on your steak. that steak needs to sit for 10 minutes so the juices redistribute.
preheat cast iron: so before you cook your steak preheat your cast iron on medium low so it has a even heat to it before you crank it to high for cooking.
salt last: no matter what you prefer to season your steak with add your salt last. adding salt and sooner will cause the salt to draw out moisture thus resulting in steam and it’ll be harder to achieve a proper sear.
be generous with black pepper: the difference I often notice with a restaurant steak and a home cooked one is pepper distribution. I find a medium grind to be best. when the pepper hits the hot pan it somewhat neutralizes the bite to it so it wont overwhelm or be to peppery. it also help for that crust we all love. Avoid spices like garlic or onion powder and dried herbs as they have a tendency to burn.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
- STEAK SANDWICH W/ HOMEMADE JALAPENO- HORSERADISH MUSTARD
- GARLIC FLAT IRON STEAK
- STEAK AND CHICKEN FAJITA PLATTER
ENJOY THIS RECIPE WITH:
- SAUTÉED SWISS CHARD
- FRIED GREEN TOMATO RINGS WITH HORSERADISH SAUCE
- BROCCOLI AND CHEESE STUFFED POTATO
- 2-3 RIBEYE STEAKS, bone-in
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper, medium grind
- Blue Cheese Crumbles, optional garnish
- 2 Green Onions, sliced . optional garnish
- SHITAKE AND CARAMELIZED ONION BUTTER
- 1 stick butter
- 2Tb reconstituted shitake mushrooms
- 3Tb Caramelized Onions
- 3 Garlic Cloves, whole
- 1Tb Flat leaf parsley
- CARAMELIZE ONIONS: To caramelize onions slice 2 onions into a medium sized rings add 1Tb butter and olive oil to medium pan and cook for 25 minutes till onions are golden brown. Once finished add a pinch of salt.
- REHYDRATE MUSHROOMS: Take a small handful of shitake mushrooms ( or whatever dried mushrooms you have on hand) and let steep in hot water like you would tea for 10 minutes.
- SAUTEE: Sautee mushrooms in the caramelized onion pan with the garlic till they start to get a little color. transfer to food processor and let it cool down a little before making butter
- COOK STEAK: Once onions are done feel free to cook your steak in the same pan just put a little oil in the pan. Season steak generously with black pepper and salt right before adding it to your smoking hot pan. Cook to your desired doneness. Let rest for 10 minutes prior to serving.
- MAKE BUTTER: To make your butter combine all ingredients and run in food processor till thoroughly combined. Let set up in the fridge. You can make this ahead of time.
- PLATE: Once your steak has rested top with compound butter ( if it’s ice cold you can put it on the steak while it rest) blue cheese crumbles, some more caramelized onions and fresh green onions. Enjoy!