Tender sweet potatoes, butter, brown sugar, and vanilla blended to make a rich and creamy vanilla sweet potato spread.
I’ve had an overabundance of sweet potatoes lately. I’ve taken too long to peel, bag, and freeze them so I’ve got to use them up. With that, I’ve been getting creative to utilize them not only for dinner but lunches and breakfast too.
For this recipe, I was in the mood for a jam and sweet butter platter. I figured I’d give the spiced butter and cream cheese a rest and try sweet potatoes. This recipe is a new house favorite. The sweet potatoes are full-bodied and really enhance the butter, sugar, and vanilla. It’s creamy like peanut butter but as airy as whipped creamy butter.
Next time I find myself with too many sweet potatoes I think a couple of mason jars filled, with a side of my tart cranberry chia will be great for sharing. Check out my tips and tricks below for the best vanilla sweet potato butter. Try this recipe out and let me know what you think.
TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST VANILLA SWEET POTATO BUTTER
boil the potatoes: for this recipe, you want to peel the potatoes prior to boiling. it’s just easier. don’t boil them too high or they’ll bang and break apart. simmer the potatoes to fork-tender so they blend up nicely and still have body.
reserve water: reserving the water from the sweet potatoes just adds more flavor. It’s starchy water so it will keep the sweet potatoes in shape. plus it’s hot so it will keep the potatoes from getting gummy. make sure to use reserved hot potato water.
strainer: aside from the food processor, the strainer is equally important. sometimes sweet potatoes can have strings in them. passing the potatoes through a strainer will help the potatoes become light a fluffy.
butter: add all the butter, this is a spread recipe. the amount of butter makes sure this spread won’t seize up and thicken over time.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
- CRISPY CUSTARD PITA + CINNAMON HONEY BUTTER
- DARK CHOCOLATE PISTACHIO BUTTER PANCAKES
- BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE PANCAKES
ENJOY THIS RECIPE WITH:
- 3-4 Medium Sweet Potatoes, peeled
- 1 Cinnamon Stick, whole
- 1/2c Sweet Potato Water
- 4oz Butter
- 1/2c Light Brown Sugar
- 1Tb Vanilla
- Cover the peeled and cut sweet potatoes in water. Add in cinnamon stick then simmer till potatoes are fork tender.
- Once the sweet potatoes are tender remove the cinnamon stick then reserve half a cup of the water.
- Place sweet potatoes and reserved water into a food processor. Blend till the mixture is smooth.
- Place a fine strainer over the sauce pan. Pour potatoes into the strainer. Using a wooden spoon work the potatoes through. Once done throw the fibers away that are caught in the strainer.
- For the sweet potato puree add in butter, sugar and vanilla over medium low heat.
- Stir till sugar is melted and butter is combined.
- Serve warm or cool.