Thick and fluffy pancakes stuffed with whipped sweet blueberries cream cheese and topped with macerated blueberries and maple syrup.
I decided on breakfast for dinner and that included an array of breakfast and brunch items. Like coffee braised ribs over peppercorn grits and crusty tomato and red onion bread with soft scrambled eggs. I wanted it to be a little more fun then your plain old pancakes, bacon and eggs. This recipe was inspired off of the beautiful blueberries I picked up and all the lemons I am trying to use up. This pancake recipe is my absolute go to for thick and fluffy pancakes. I needed one that would hold the cream cheese well and not go through it. This recipe all together has become an instant favorite. The whipped cream cheese is the perfect amount of sweet and tart. The macerated berries on top add freshness and texture. Topping it with maple syrup surprisingly sets the entire dish off and that’s said as someone whos not generally a fan of it. Check out my tips and tricks below for the best blueberry cream cheese pancakes. Try this recipe out and let me know what you think.
TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE PANCAKES
make more macerated blueberries: i wasn’t expecting to use the blueberries as a topping at all. Once i saw how syrupy they got i decided to go ahead and reserve some for myself! so my suggestion and something i’ll definitely be doing next time is doubling up the recipe next time and using 2 pints.
macerate: macerate a minimum of an hour ahead of time. the longer the berries sit with the sugar and lemon the more syrupy the blueberries get.
butter between cakes: to keep my pancakes warm and ready with the rest of breakfast i pop them in the oven. sometimes the oven is off depending on how quickly i’ll be done. sometimes it’s left on warm if i have a lot to do. putting them in the oven keeps the room temperature chill off of them. i also put pats of butter between every couple of pancakes so that it can melt while they are still warm.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
ENJOY THIS RECIPE WITH:
- BACON BLUE CHEESE GRITS
- SAUSAGE,SUNDRIED TOMATO, AND SPINACH ROLLED EGG KOLACHES
- BREAKFAST FRIED PORKCHOPS
- 1.5c Milk
- 2c All purpose flour
- 3 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2.5Tb White Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Tb Melted butter
- 1Tb Vanilla extract
BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE
- 8oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 11oz( 1 Pint) Fresh Blueberries
- 1Tb Lemon Juice
- 1Tb Lemon Zest
- 2Tb Sugar
- MACERATE BERRIES: Macerate the blueberries an hour ahead of time prior to using. Combine blueberries, lemon juice , zest and sugar then lightly mash and stir.
- START BATTER: To make batter start by whisking eggs so that they become nice and fluffy then add all the wet ingredients milk, vanilla and melted butter.
- ADD DRY: Add all dry ingredients together flour, baking soda, white sugar, and salt. Then add it to the wet ingredients and stir till completely mixed but still lumpy.
- WHIP CREAM CHEESE: Using a wooden fork or whisk start breaking up soften cream cheese. Toss in half of macerated blueberries reserving the rest for the top of the pancakes.
- PREHEAT GRIDDLE: Preheat griddle to 350F. Coat pan with a pat of butter. Scooping about a ice cream scoop size at a time. Add batter to pan. Add in about 2 dollops of blueberry cream cheese to each pancake.
- FLIP: Once the pancakes start to bubble and brown at the edges, flip the pancakes and add in another pat of butter. Repeat the process till all pancakes are done.
- TOP: Top each stack of pancakes with butter, the remainder of the macerated berries and whipped cream cheese. Grate on more lemon zest and serve with maple syrup!