Crispy double crunch fried chicken over coconut rice drizzled with sriracha mayo, sour pineapple syrup and sprinkled with nori sesame crunch.
WHAT’S GOING ON HERE:
Chicken: Chicken breast or boneless chicken thighs are great options for this crispy chicken dish. The most important thing is keeping the small bites consistent that way you’ll be working with a more even cooking time.
Coconut Milk: Coconut milk adds a touch a sweet stickiness to the rice and dish. Coconut milk really enhances all floral notes added to it so its a great addition to a rice bowl style dish.
Jasmine Rice: Jasmine rice is a little more aromatic than plain rice. It also absorbs the coconut milk really well. Use whatever rice you prefer or have on hand just adjust the cooking times to match the package from the bag for the best results.
Sour Pineapple Syrup: Sour pineapple syrup is simple its just pineapple, vinegar, citric acid to boost the sour and sugar to round out the sweetness. Since pineapple flavor and ripeness can vary you can use canned pineapple for this dish. Also the additional sugar may need to be adjusted for a super sweet pineapple use less sugar for a bitter one use more.
Nori Sesame Crunch: The Nori sesame crunch is a combination of Nori sheets, rice cereal, and lightly toasted sesame seeds. this combination is super easy to toss together to add more flavor. Just make sure to keep all these ingredients dry prior to adding them to the dish.
Sriracha Mayo: Sriracha mayo is super easy its just three ingredients. I like the addition of sriracha mayo since is adds a welcomed creamy heat. the lime really opens up all the flavors.
TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST CRISPY CHICKEN & STICKY COCONUT RICE BOWL
starch + marinade: adding a little starch to the marinade is where the double crunch comes in. the starch thickens up the batter a little so once it finally tossed in the corn starch it adds a second puffy layer to the chicken.
sour pineapple syrup: the sour pineapple syrup needs a little balance. citric acid to make the syrup a little tart, sugar to round out the tartness and a little bit of sweet rice wine vinegar to add tang. bringing the sauce to a boil and reduce to a slight simmer will help thicken the sauce slightly
cutting the chicken: the original cut on the chicken doesn’t really matter for the dish you can use either a breast or thigh. the small bites you cut the chicken into matters the most. keeping the size consistent keeps the cooking time consistent. if you find that you made some pieces bigger than others fry those pieces as batch of their own. cutting before marinading also allows deeper penetrated flavor.
Coconut Rice: When preparing the rice make sure to thin out some of the coconut milk with the addition of broth or water. the canned coconut milk usually has cream at the top that makes it hard for rice to absorb on its own.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
- BAKED BUFFALO CHICKEN TENDERS
- ROASTED GARLIC & TOASTED PARM BAKED CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS
- BLACK GARLIC CHICKEN TERIYAKI
ENJOY THIS RECIPE WITH:
- GARLIC CHICKEN LO MEIN
- CHICKEN & VEGETABLE STIR-FRY TACOS
- GENERAL TSO CHICKEN
Crispy Chicken & Coconut Sticky Rice Bowl
- 2lb Chicken Breast, cubed
- 2c Corn Starch
- Cooking oil for frying
- 2 Green Onions, chopped for garnish
- Mint Leaves, optional -for garnish
- Cilantro Leaves, optional- for garnish
- CRUNCHY CHICKEN MARINADE
- 1/2c Soy Sauce
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 2Tb Tapioca Starch
- 2tsp Black Pepper
- 1tsp Garlic Powder
- 2tsp Sriracha
- 1/4tsp Sugar
- 1TB Rice Wine Vinegar
- SOUR PINEAPPLE SYRUP
- 1c Pineapple
- 1/2tsp Citric Acid
- 2-3Tb Sugar
- 3Tb Rice Wine Vinegar
- COCONUT RICE
- 2c Jamine Rice
- 14oz Coconut Milk
- 1/2c Vegetable Broth
- 1tsp Salt
- 2 Keffir Lime Leaves, optional
- 1/2tsp Ginger Powder
- SRIRACHA MAYO
- 1/2c Kewpie Mayo, regular mayo works as well.
- 3Tb Sriracha
- 1tsp Lime Juice
- NORI CRUNCH
- 1 Nori Sheet Ground
- 1/4c Rice Cereal
- 2Tb Sesame Seeds
- 1tsp Chili Flakes, optional
- Combine all the ingredients listed under crunchy chicken marinade.
- Toss in cubed chicken and let marinade for 12 hours to overnight.
- Combine together all the ingredients for the nori crunch and store in an airtight container.
- Combine the ingredients for sriracha mayo store refrigerated till ready to serve.
- To make the sour pineapple syrup. Combine all the ingredients in a blender. Starting on low and gradually rising to high. Blend the syrup for one minute till smooth.
- Pour into a sauce pan then bring to a boil.
- Once boiling reduce to a simmer and simmer for 10-15 minutes till the juice starts to thicken.
- Cool and set to the side.
- Start the coconut rice prior to cooking the chicken so that the rice is cooked and ready to serve.
- To make the coconut rice add the coconut milk and broth to a pan.
- Bring to a boil and add in rice, 1/2tsp salt, ginger powder and keffir lime leaves.
- Stir once, boil for 8 minutes. Reduce to simmer and cover for 15-20 more minutes.
- Once the rice is ready to be fluffed add in the remainder of the salt.
- Add cooking oil to a small dutch oven to fry the chicken just enough so that the chicken can be covered.
- Once the oil is hot. Toss the chicken in with the corn starch till completely coated.
- Fry the chicken in batches from 6-8 minutes depending on size.
- Chicken pieces should be golden brown and floating. Remove the chicken from the oil place on a baking rack and lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Continue till all the chicken is cooked.
- Once the chicken is cooked assemble your bowl.
- Place the coconut rice at the bottom followed by a pile of chicken.
- Drizzle with pineapple syrup and sriracha mayo followed by a sprinkle of nori crunch.
- Top with fresh green onion, mint, cilantro and a squeeze of lime optional.