Grilled chicken topped with a roasted lemon and garlic butter crawfish sauce.
Crawfish are a huge thing here in the south. Crawfish is the main topic of conversation come end of February, so you better believe everyone is trying to get a hold of them now. Crawfish are generally sold two ways if they aren’t already cooked. Whole, generally live or the tails that’s without the body and heads. The tails you can get year round so I cook with them often. Whole crawfish are kind of a pain to eat so I stick to only in the season for those.
When I’m making a topping for most things crawfish always comes to mind I usually stick to a creamier version but today I felt like changing things up and going for a lighter approach.
This recipe is quick, satisfying and definitely a crowd pleaser. Try it out and let me know what you think.
- 3 Chicken Breast, lightly pounded
- 1lb Crawfish Tails
- 1 small onon, diced
- 3 Roasted Lemons
- Olive Oil
- 10 Cloves Roasted Garlic
- 1/2c Butter ( 1stick)
- Olive Oil
- 4 Calabrian Chili, chopped
- Salt Pepper
- Herbs de Provenence
- ROAST LEMONS AND GARLIC: Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Place lemons in a pan and broil for 3 minutes on each side. Once brown return oven to 350 degrees. Leave lemons in the oven for 20 minutes while garlic roast. To roast garlic place garlic in foil add in 1Tb olive oil and a teaspoon of salt. Fold and place into a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes till browned and tender.
- SEASON CHICKEN: Season chicken generously with salt and pepper and sear on both sides for 8 minutes till chicken is cooked.
- Once Chicken is removed from pan add in onions and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- STRAIN LEMONS: Once the lemons are soft remove skin and pass through a fine strainer to keep the seeds and pulp. Add to onions and scrape the bits off the bottom of pan.
- ADD CRAWFISH: Add in crawfish, Calabrian chilis, roasted garlic and 1 stick of butter.
- SEASON: Season with salt, pepper, herbs de Provence to taste.
- RETURN CHICKEN: Return chicken to the pan and covered with crawfish lemon butter.
- SERVE: Serve immediately or you can let the chicken simmer in the sauce for a little while. Serve with mashed potatoes and veggies.