The creamiest potato soup loaded with veggies, honey ham and crispy bacon. The perfect one pot dish!
We’ve had an overabundance of potatoes lately. So I’ve been trying to think of ways to use them up. Potato soup is the perfect way to get the potato recipes going and get some classics in. When I think of ways to get rid of them before they go to waste I’m thinking hand cut fries, gratins, stews, hash and breakfast tacos fillings. I’m sure those recipes are to come but today what I have y’all is soup.
I think everyone loves potato soup because its generally stuff you have in the fridge and its a handful of ingredients. This is my favorite version I has not only bacon but honey ham and its loaded with vegetables like carrots, onions and celery! Try this recipe out on your next cool night in!
TIPS & TRICK FOR THE PERFECT POTATO SOUP
Cook your bacon first: Cooking your bacon first gives you a nice flavor starting lead to build off of. Once the bacon is cooked you’ll sweat the veggies in the fat add you flour and build your roux!
Half and half over milk: The cream and milk combination of half and half gives a fuller bodied soup. If milk is all you have build a thicker roux.
Waxy over starchy potatoes: A good potato soup is of course about the potato! So a waxier potato is better like a new potato, or Yukon gold (The smoother the potato the waxier). No worries if russets are all you have on hand they just create a little foam at the top
Boiling the potatoes: Just like the potatoes themselves are important the boil on your potatoes are just as. To get a velvety smooth soup once you’ve added your potatoes and they’ve been brought to a boil. Lower the temperature to simmer the potatoes so the boiling doesn’t cause them to bang together and break up. Also bigger potato are always better in soup.
Butter at the end: Adding butter that isn’t combined with a starch can break a soup so once the heat is cut once the soup is done add in a pat (1Tb) of butter to create a nice velvety texture.
TRY THIS RECIPE WITH:
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
- 1/2lb Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 Celery, chopped
- 1 Yellow onion, chopped
- 1Tb butter
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2-4Tb Flour
- 1/2lb Bacon, sliced
- 1lb Honey Ham, thick slice
- 1/2c Carrots, cubed
- Green Onions
- 1/2c Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 2c Half and Half
- 1c Chicken Stock
- COOK BACON: Place bacon in a cold dutch oven and cook till crispy over medium heat. Place in a container to the side.
- ADD VEG: Add vegetables to cook in rendered bacon fat for about 5 minutes. Add flour to coat vegetable and accumulated fat. (Additional flour may be needed)
- ADD LIQUIDS: Add in chicken stock, bay leaves and half and half along with peeled and cubed potatoes. Season generously with salt and pepper. Stir to make sure there are no flour clumps.
- SIMMER: Simmer soup till potatoes are fork tender. ( A hard boil will break up potatoes) Add in ham, bacon, green onions and have of shredded cheddar cheese.
- ENJOY: Add in last tablespoon of butter before serving. Serve potato soup topped with additional ham and bacon, sour cream, additional cheese and green onions!