Cinnamon rolls are the perfect night before do- ahead that make getting up a lot more exciting! Classic brown sugar and cinnamon filled rolls topped with a perfect cream cheese frosting.
A lot of baking has been happening here.
Today I was thinking long term baking. Something I could make now and also freeze well for later. Cinnamon rolls are the perfect night before do- ahead that make getting up a lot more exciting! The one thing that I love about these rolls is the pinch of coffee in the filling. When I pop them into the oven in the morning the scent of coffee hits the air before the real pot even does.
I love a set it and forget it breakfast where I don’t have to worry about what time everyone is getting up so everyone can get the food hot. This recipe was a really relaxing way to end my night rolling and filling the dough. Also a breeze for my morning. Try this recipe out and let me know what you think!
TIPS AND TRICKS TO THE PERFECT CINNAMON ROLL:
Bloom the yeast: A good yeasty cinnamon roll dough is key. What you want to make sure of is that your yeast blooms. To do that start by heating your milk in 30 second increments. Once it reaches between 105-110F. Add in sugar. Yeast love sugar! Stir then add in yeast. Then let everything sit for two-five minutes. You’ll know you did it right if the top of the milk starts to get frothy and you start to see bubbles form at the top. A flat non reactive surface means your yeast may not have been good to begin with so check the label prior to use. If it’s still good make sure your thermometer is properly calibrated.
Coffee in the filling: A little coffee goes a long way! I’ve been adding coffee to my filling for a while now and I love how it adds extra aromas into the air while baking.
Never refrigerate the topping: Once you make the topping leave it at room temperature for a better spread on the cinnamon rolls.
Margarine in the dough; Butter in the filling: Margarine in the dough gives a biscuit like rise. The butter in the filling caramelizes the brown sugar on the bottom of the cinnamon rolls.
Storage: Once the roll is prepared you can roll the cinnamon roll log in plastic wrap and freeze to use later. If you pre slice them before you freeze them. Place a slip of parchment between them and make sure the container is airtight to avoid freezer burn.
Rolls can also be pre sliced and placed in a well greased baking dish to rise overnight to be baked first thing in the morning. Always allow cinnamon rolls to sit for 30 minutes at temperature if being removed from fridge to bake.
SIMILIAR INGREDIENTS TO:
TRY THIS RECIPE WITH:
- 1Tb Yeast
- 1c Warm Milk (105F-110F)
- 1/4c +1tsp Sugar
- 1/3c Margarine, melted
- 1tsp Salt
- 4c Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1Tb Vanilla
- 1Tb Cinnamon
- 1c Brown Sugar
- 1tsp Vanilla
- 2tsp Fine Coffee Grounds
- 2Tb Cinnamon
- 8Tb Butter, softened
- 8oz Cream Cheese
- 2c Powdered Sugar
- 1tsp Vanilla
- 1-2Tb Milk
- BLOOM YEAST: To make the dough for the cinnamon first warm milk in the microwave at 30 second increments. Once the thermometer reads between 105-110F add yeast and tsp of sugar to milk. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
- COMBINE: In a bowl add in sugar, eggs, margarine, salt, vanilla, and cinnamon. Mix till completely combined
- ADD WET: Add in the milk and yeast. Mix.
- ADD FLOUR: Add in flour. Then knead until a smooth ball is formed. Let rest for one hour and cover with a damp towel in warm area.
- REST: Let rest for one hour
- MAKE FILLING: To make the filling for cinnamon rolls combine all “filling” ingredients together.
- ROLL DOUGH: Flour surface then roll out dough into a rectangle.
- SPREAD FILLING: Spread the filling edge to edge of the rolled out dough.
- ROLL: Roll dough up starting towards the front and rolling backwards.
- MARK ROLLS: Before you start slicing the dough once rolled make impressions on the top to give yourself 12 even rolls.
- SLICE: Once you have your rolls marked slice 12 rolls and place into greased baking pan.
- FINAL REST: Let rolls rise for 30 more minutes.
- BAKE: Preheat the oven at 350F and bake cinnamon rolls for 20 minutes.
- PREPARE FROSTING: Prepare the frosting by whipping all ingredients with a hand mixer on medium till clump free and silky. Leave at room temp.
- ENJOY: Cool Cinnamon rolls slightly and glaze entirely with frosting. ENJOY