Chuck roasted coated generously in a medley of herbs and spices. Thinly shaved and served on fresh baguette. Dunked in dark homemade au jus.
So I’d dare not proclaim this to be a traditional Chicago Italian beef sandwich but I wont lie and say they weren’t my inspiration. So yesterday I was just hounded by the idea of having one and I figured I have most of the stuff so why not. If you have never had a Chicago Italian beef sandwich its roasted beef with a greater meat to fat ratio. It’s not a fatty sandwich! It’s roasted in beef stock its generally recycled beef stock from previous roasts so it has a ton of flavor. and its served up wet as in dipped fully dunked in the au jus sauce and served up with pickled giardiniera peppers. Which is just a mince of peppers that range from sweet to spicy, carrots, cauliflower and olives. If you’re wanting a nice hearty sandwich check out my tips and tricks below! Try this recipe out and let me know what you think!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE BEST ROAST BEEF SANDIWICHES:
let roast cool completely before slicing: if you’re slicing the beef its best to chill it so it firms up and you get the cleanest slices possible. I’m using a deli slicer to slice mines but you can always use a knife. If you’re pulling the beef skip the chill step.
pour liquid on the side – never over seasoned meat; once you have that amazing rub on the meat when you’re adding a liquid or broth to the dish pour it on the side away from the seasoning so you don’t wash it off.
If you’re just pulling the meat skip the cool down step: once this meat is done in the oven the flavors are out of this world so there is no need to wait if you’re not thinly slicing the meat. feel free to make pulled beef sandwiches!
reserve your broth: do not discard your broth. you’ll serve that with the sandwiches to dunk or dip. that will be you au jus. you can always save that broth and freeze it for your next roast. once the roast is done taste a spoonful incase you have to adjust the seasoning.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
- ROAST BEEF SANDWICHES
- STEAK SANDWICH W/ HOMEMADE JALAPENO- HORSERADISH MUSTARD
- SPICY BEEF AND BRUSSEL SPROUT SLAW SANDWICH
ENJOY THS RECIPE WITH:
- HOMEMADE CHIPS W/ CREAMY BORGONZOLA FONDUE.
- BROCCOLI AND SHISHITO PEPPER SLAW
- MINI CUCUMBER & FETA SALAD
- 3LB Beef Chuck Roast
- 2c Beef Stock
- 3/4c Pickled Jalapeno Brine
- 1Tb Tarragon
- 1Tb Coarse Black Pepper
- 1tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1Tb Rosemary
- 1Tb Garlic Powder
- 1Tb Oregano
- 1Tb Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 Bay Leaves, crushed
- 10 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Yellow Onion, Thinly sliced
- PREP BEEF: Rub the beef on both sides with tarragon, black pepper, mustard seed, rosemary, garlic powder, oregano, crushed red peppers flakes and bay leaves. Season entire roast with salt.
- ROAST: Fill roasting pan with stock and pickle brine add in garlic cloves and onions. Set beef on top. Roast at 375 for 2 hours.
- COOL: Once meat is done. Place entire COOLED pan into refrigerator to chill for 4 plus hours. Once ready to slice. Thinly slice beef and reheat au jus on the stove or in the oven. Dunk meat into liquid to reheat and serve on your favorite roll!