Shortcut cornbread muffins that can be in the oven in 5! Jiffy mix and creamed corn spiced with sage, and a little red onion.
WHAT’S GOING ON HERE:
Jiffy cornbread mix: Who doesn’t love a shortcut. Some days you want to skip the fuss. Use two packs of jiffy cornbread mix (1/2 cup each pack) and jazz it up with your favorite ingredients.
Sage: Fresh or dried work well here. Fresh will be more pronounced while dried will be more mellow. When using fresh remove the stem and finely mince the sage and reduce it by half. This earthy cornbread will remind you of homemade stuffing.
Creamed style corn: Creamed style corn adds some sweetness to the mix. It also makes foolproof tender and moist muffins.
Buttermilk: For some tang add in the buttermilk. Feel free to use regular milk if none is on hand. The creamed-style corn adds moisture but the dairy helps the entire mixture move.
Red onions: Red onions make the cornbread remind me of stuffing along with the sage. Thinly sliced is the only way to go to keep the muffins rising, too heavy and they’ll sink.
TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST RED ONION & SAGE CORNBREAD MUFFINS
don’t over mix: over mixing is how you get tough cornbread. mix enough that all the ingredients are incorporated. then leave it.
preheat and grease: preheating the oven will help the muffins rise and brown make sure the oven is hot. for easy removal of the muffins make sure the tins are completely greased.
add a little time: due to the cream-style corn these muffins are moist. so it’s important to cook them long enough. you’ll know the muffins are done when a toothpick runs clean. underdone muffins will sink when cooled.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
ENJOY THIS RECIPE WITH:
- HAM, WHITE BEAN & CHARD SOUP
- CAJUN CHICKEN + WHITE WINE CREAM SAUCE+ MUSHROOM AND RED BEAN RICE
- ROASTED CHICKEN VEGETABLE GRAVY
- 2 Boxes Jiffy Cornbread mix(1/2c each)
- 1/3c Buttermilk
- 14.75 oz. Creamed style corn, canned
- 2 Eggs
- 2tsp Sage
- 1/2 Small red onion, sliced
- 4TB Butter
- Empty the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Add in corn, buttermilk, eggs and sage.
- Mix till incorporated.
- Spray muffin tins with non stick cooking spray.
- Fill each tin 3/4 full.
- Top with thinly sliced red onions.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes till a toothpick runs clean.
- Remove from the oven and top with butter.
They look beautifully delicious.
Comments are closed.