Roasted pork marinated in a sweet and spicy vinegar based mango habanero sauce.
I’ve been having a lot of fun making vinegar based marinades lately. My go to formula is usually a base vinegar ( red, white, rice wine ,etc.) + fruit + fresh peppers = delish! With this combo I’m keeping the marinades light, flavor packed and a with a little sweet heat.
Today I decided to go all out because I saw someone making fresh tortillas and decided that I need that in my life. I was trying to decide what else I want to make and thought rice and beans. So I made Spanish rice and creamy mayocoba beans. This dish checked all the boxes it was super easy, comforting, and everyone really enjoy it. Wanna keep it kid friendly? The mango and vinegar really tame the habanero but if you’re worried remove the entirety of the seeds and ribs. Those are the hottest parts. Or swap it out for a pepper of your choosing. This dish can also be served hot or cold with your favorite sides and veggies. For leftovers try sandwiches and tacos. Try this recipe out and let me know what you think!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE BEST MANGO HABANERO PORK
use a food processor: A food processor is the closest thing to chopping by hand or using a mortar. You want the consistency of the mango habanero to be a thick fluid paste not completely liquified.
whole cinnamon stick: For this recipe instead of grating fresh cinnamon into the marinade I went with the whole stick. The whole stick while the pork roast makes the entire dish super aromatic without overwhelming and a whole stick is a lot easier to remove!
mango & rice wine vinegar: Make sure your mango is ripe or overly ripe. This and the rice wine vinegar are the only added sweetness to this dish. This combination will help break down the pork but do not leave pork in the marinade past 24 hours or it will start to mess with the texture.
rest pork twice: Once you marinade the pork and you’re ready to roast make sure the pork comes to room temperature for about 30 minutes prior to cooking and once it comes out of the oven for 15 minutes prior to serving.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
ENJOY THIS RECIPE WITH:
- 3lb Pork Tenderloin
- 1 Habanero, seeded
- 1 Yellow Onion, medium. peeled
- 20 Garlic Cloves
- 6 Thyme Sprigs
- 1 Mango, large
- 1/4c Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4tsp Allspice
- 1/4tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1tsp Black Pepper
- 1tsp Salt
- 1tsp Coriander
- 1 Rosemary, sprig
- MAKE MARINADE: To make marinade combine all ingredients together in a food processor till completely broken down. Except for the cinnamon stick.
- MARINADE PORK: Add in cinnamon stick and marinade pork for at least two hours.
- ROAST PORK: In a roasting pan place pork on the top rack and season generously with salt and pepper. Add the marinade with an additional 1/2c Water in the base in the preheated oven at 375F for 1 hour and 35 minutes.
- REST PORK: Let pork rest for 10-15 minutes. Prior to cutting. Cut to desired thickness and spoon the sauce over the pork. ENJOY!