Tender and creamy beef sirloin slowly braised in adobo inspired sauce. Shredded once fork tender and served in corn tortillas with a twist of lime.
I’m sure you have heard the name birria tacos. If you have not that’s okay! You’ve might have had then and did not even know. Birria tacos are basically tacos served with the broth it is cooked in. They have a beautiful red hue from achiote powder and is slow braised in a adobo style broth. An adobo style broth is simple and uses most pantry staples like vinegar, dried herbs and salt. The taco is creamy and flavorful from the cook time and from the intertwining of spices. Try this recipe out and let me know what you think!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE BEST BIRRIA TACOS
sear your meat: once your meat is rubbed sear it in the cast iron to lock in the flavors. also use non reactive cookware to braise your meat!
achiote is a must: achiote is hard to find on its own. you can generally find it blended with coriander. the achiote as well as the paprika give it that red glow you’re looking for.
fry your tortilla shells: this tip is a little different then the usual just cook it prior to eating. when your frying your tortilla shells add a little broth from the meat to give the tortillas a nice red shine.
salt & citrus: for this dish you want to make sure your beef is heavily seasoned, try it and readjust when it’s pulled. serve these tacos with citrus to help cut the richness.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
ENJOY THIS RECIPE WITH:
- 3.5LB Beef Roast
- 4 Roma tomatoes, halved
- 3 Tomatillos, halved
- 1 Yellow Onions, small dice
- 2 Bulbs Garlic, Whole one end removed
- Black pepper
- 1TB Adobo Seasoning
- 1TB Cumin
- 1TB Chili powder
- 1 achiote and coriander packet
- 1-2TB garlic powder
- 1TB Mexican oregano
- 1TB Paprika
- 1.5c Hot Water + 1 Chicken Bouillon cube+ 2TB Vinegar
- RUB BEEF: Sprinkle meat generously with salt and black pepper. Then sprinkle on all of cumin, adobo, garlic powder, paprika, oregano and achiote. Let sit for 30 minutes to overnight.
- SEAR BEEF: Oil pan and sear beef on all sides and both end. Remove from heat. Once done add in tomatoes, tomatillos, onions, and garlic. Pour in water and cover.
- BAKE: Bake at 375 for 4 hours till fork tender.
- PULL BEEF: Once fork tender remove the skin of the garlic from the pan. Pull beef and veggies together. Serve over a corn tortillas. Use the pan sauce dip taco, serve with some homemade pico and lime !