These southern fried chicken gizzards are marinated in a buttermilk and hot sauce brine. Rolled in spices and tossed in seasoned flour. Then fried to golden perfection!
To me there is nothing quiet like fried chicken gizzards. They are one of my guilty pleasures and also on my top five favorite things to eat with hot sauce! Chicken gizzards tend to get a bad rep due to where they are located on the chicken and the fact they can be pretty unforgivable if you mess them up. So often people just give them one shot. Another reason I think gizzards are often overlooked is because they tend to be equally associated with liver. Texturally and flavor-wise they are vastly different. Liver is tender with a metallic taste and has more of a crumble to it. The gizzards have most texture and bite. While the taste is pretty neutral and absorbs the flavoring brought to it. Everyone should fry up some chicken gizzards at least once. Following my tips and tricks you’ll be hooked in no time. Try this recipe out and let me know what you think!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE BEST FRIED CHICKEN GIZZARDS:
skip the boiling: a lot of recipes call for you to boil your chicken gizzards in water and vegetables. this step is the easiest way to toughen your gizzards from overcooking. its also the easiest way for your gizzards to lose all bite and to be completely soft which will result in a texture similar to liver.
buttermilk bath 2 days: when i’m in the mood for chicken gizzards i know it is a minimum of two days. that seems to be the gizzard sweet spot. 24 hours works as well as i’ve pulled them sooner than the 48 hour period but two days is ideal.
use your favorite chicken breading: if you have a favorite chicken breading recipe, use it! familiarity is the best for foods like these it’ll offer some comfort and help with the newness of the dish.
only make as much as you’ll eat: fried chicken gizzards aren’t the best reheated so keep that into consideration when preparing them.
don’t eat the gizzards straight from the grease: trust me, just don’t.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
- CHICKEN PARMESAN CHICKEN TENDERS
- BUFFALO CHICKEN SANDWICH W/ GHOST PEPPER RANCH
- CAJUN CHICKEN WINGS IN HOT BUTTER
ENJOY THIS RECIPE WITH:
- HOMEMADE CHIPS W/ CREAMY BORGONZOLA FONDUE.
- BLUE CHEESE AND BROCCOLI
- FRIED GREEN TOMATO RINGS WITH HORSERADISH SAUCE
- 2.5LB Chicken Gizzards, cleaned
- 2Tb Seasoning salt
- 1Tb Garlic Powder
- 1tsp Onion Powder
- 1TB Black Pepper
- 1tsp White Pepper
- 1tsp Celery Seed
- 2TB Hot Sauce
- 1-2c Buttermilk
- 2c Flour
- 1/4c Cornstarch
- 1TB Creole seasoning
- 1tsp Paprika
- Canola OIl, For frying
- MAKE MARINADE: Combine seasoning salt , garlic, onion powder, white pepper, black pepper, and celery seed to buttermilk and hot sauce. Add in gizzards and let sit 24-48 hours.
- COAT GIZZARDS; Combine creole seasoning and paprika to cornstarch and flour. Drain excess buttermilk from gizzards and toss. Coat gizzards completely and let sit till oil heats.
- COOK; Heat oil to 375 . Drop the gizzards in small batches cook for about 3-5 minutes till golden brown and floating. Serve with some extra hot sauce and enjoy!