Sweet and spicy marinated shaved beef served over a light and refreshing Asian inspired cucumber coleslaw.
Chinese five spices has been making its rounds in a lot of my dishes lately. The warmth it brings to food is amazing. It gives it a long marinated and roasted feel. Its definitely on my staples list for any pantry. For the unfamiliar it consists of star anise, fennel, Szechuan peppercorns, cloves and cinnamon. That being said I make a lot of dishes around it. For this I keep it simple with a few ingredients like hoisin and sriracha and let the five spice work its magic. With my tips and tricks you’ll have the perfect Asian beef. Try it out and let me know what you think!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE BEST ASIAN BEEF AND SLAW:
for the marinade the longer the better: in this recipe the beef is actually pretty mild so you want the beef to sit overnight for maximum flavor exposure.
don’t peel your cucumber: if your are super opposed to cucumber skin then leave it off but leaving the skin on allows the cucumber to hold its shape better in this slaw
don’t throw out the marinade: after your beef is cooked feel free to pour the marinade into the empty pan, bring to a quick boil and move it around the pan (keep an eye on this the entire time) return the meat to pan to caramelize from the now heated honey to give your beef a nice sticky glaze.
thin slices- high heat: since this meat is super thin you want a screaming hot pan if you want any chance of coloring while not overcooking your meat. if your meat isn’t on the thin side no worries just lower the heat and cook normally.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
ENJOY THIS RECIPE WITH!
- 2lb Thinly shaved beef
- 1/4C Hoisin Sauce
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 1/4c Soy Sauce
- 2Tb Sriracha
- 1Tb Garlic, minced
- 2Tb Honey
- 1tsp Ginger, grated
- 1tsp Chinese Five Spice
CUCUMBER CABBAGE SLAW:
- 1 Cucumber, peeled optional, not necessary
- 1c Green Cabbage, shaved
- 1 Jumbo Carrot, grated large
- 2 Green Onions, sliced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, sliced
- 1Tb Soy Sauce
- 1TB Hoisin Sauce
- 1TB Sriracha
- 1tsp Black Pepper
- 1tsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- MARINADE BEEF: To make marinade combine all ingredients into a container let sit for a minimum of 24 hours for maximum flavor.
- TOSS SLAW: To make the slaw combine soy, hoisin, sriracha, vinegar and black pepper to a boil. Whisk till combined. Add sliced and diced veggies to the boil and toss gently so you don’t break up the cucumbers. No need to make this ahead of time.
- COOK MEAT: To cook meat heat cast iron on high. Add in 1tb cooking oil. Drop meat in batches about five minutes per batch and set to the side. Continue till all meat is cooked. Add in remaining marinade bringing it to a low boil and return meat to pan and toss.
- SERVE: You can serve this dish with steamed rice, noodles or on its own. Serve cabbage under beef. Top with sriracha, green onions, sliced jalapenos or even a fried egg! Enjoy.