Fluffy classic buttermilk pancakes topped with a crispy brown butter oat topping with a pat of butter and drizzled in maple syrup.
There is nothing more homey than pancakes. When I’m really trying to wake up the house I go straight for this recipe. For this recipe I’m taking light and fluffy pancakes and giving them a twist. Before I kick off the pancake making, I like to pop some bacon in a nice cold oven to start warming everything up and getting those classic breakfast smells going. Then I like to start my butter so that the nutty aroma permeates the air by the time you’re able to start smelling the bacon. I promise you this recipe will be able to wake up even the heaviest sleeper. Check out my tips and tricks below for the best brown butter oat pancakes. Try this recipe out and let me know what you think.
TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST BROWN BUTTER OAT PANCAKE:
brown your butter in a separate sauce pan: i know, i know an extra dish! but i like to toast my butter in a separate pan so i’m not forced to basically deep fry my pancakes and i still can control the amount per batch.
quick oats are best: so for this recipe you don’t want to use oats that take a long time because they’ll never cook in time with the pancakes.
thin layer of oats: if you have large clumps of oats its going to be harder for the batter to make contact with the bottom that will result in unevenly cooked pancakes and they end up pretty pale so keep an eye out for that.
cook the pancakes a little longer: the general rule of thumb. bubbles mean flip. well for this that is true but wait for the sides to firm up a little to flips to make sure the that you don’t lose the oat topping.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
- BLUEBERRY BUTTERMILK PANCAKES
- STRAWBERRY FUNFETTI PANCAKES
- SILVER DOLLAR PANCAKES W/ NUTELLA & BANANAS
ENJOY THIS RECIPE WITH:
- BACON BLUE CHEESE GRITS
- SAUSAGE,SUNDRIED TOMATO, AND SPINACH ROLLED EGG KOLACHES
- BREAKFAST FRIED PORKCHOPS
- 1.5c Milk
- 1 Tb White Vinegar
- 2 c All purpose flour
- 3 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2.5Tb white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tb melted butter
- 1Tb vanilla extract
- 1c Butter, for brown butter
- 1-2c Quick Oats, for topping
- 1/2c Brown Sugar, for topping
- BROWN BUTTER: To brown your butter add butter to cold pan turn on medium and cook for 10-15 minutes till it starts to brown not burn and has a nutty aroma. Turn off once it comes to that point.
- START BATTER: To make batter start by whisking eggs so that they become nice and fluffy then add all wet ingredients milk, white vinegar, vanilla and melted butter.
- ADD DRY: Add all dry ingredients together flour, baking soda, white sugar, and salt. Then add it to the wet ingredients and stir till completely mixed.
- START PANCAKES: Add 2Tb brown butter to pan, add in 1/4c-1/2c oats per batch and fry in butter till they turn a light brown color. Add in 2-4Tb per batch of oats and sprinkle in till oats start to get sticky.
- DROP PANCAKES: Drop an ice cream scoop worth a batter onto the oat and flip one they start to bubble and the sides start to cook. Repeat the process of adding oats, butter and sugar till add batter is used. Stack your pancakes and enjoy with a pat of butter and maple syrup.