Loaded baked potatoes fluffed and stuffed with sharp cheddar, grilled shrimp with butter, black garlic, green onions and a dollop of sour cream and crumbled thick bacon.
Loaded baked potatoes are a great side dish or a meal in itself! For this recipe I wanted to change up “surf and turf”. Usually surf and turf involves a land animal the ‘turf” paired well with seafood with “surf”. Instead of just throwing everything together on a plate in a pool of garlic butter I decided to just load up the potatoes! For this recipe I went with shrimp but it would actually do well with scallops and crab as well. If you’re not making this for steak night and just want to have some fun loading potatoes try out some other fun combinations like ham and cheese, broccoli and cheese. Or make it a sweet potato throw in candied nuts and dried fruits, or keep it savory with black bean, corn and quinoa. Whatever crazy combination you choose make sure to check out my tips and tricks below. Try this recipe out and let me know what you think.
TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST SHRIMP STUFFED LOADED BAKED POTATO:
start in the microwave: i don’t know about anyone else but i don’t have time to wait 3 hours for potatoes to bake. So i generally shortcut all my potatoes that aren’t initially being boiled and i pop them in the microwave. I like to poke them with a fork all over then wrap them in plastic wrap. 4-6 minutes depending on the size. Then i brush them in oil and season the skin generously and roast them for about 20 minutes. nobody can even tell the difference! and you have perfectly cooked potatoes every time.
fluff your potato: fluffing the potato is sometimes forgotten. fluffing the potato does a few things. its a great way to make sure your potato is cooked throughout and it helps the seasoning get all the way in.
time everything: this dish is not a stressful dish by any means, but you don’t want to overdo the shrimp. They can overcook! So have the potatoes ready to receive the shrimp so that they don’t keep cooking and cooling. That’s how you get rubbery shrimp.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
- HAM & CHEESE SWEET POTATO
- BROCCOLI AND CHEESE STUFFED POTATO
- CRAWFISH AND SAUSAGE STUFFED POBLANO PEPPER
ENJOY THIS RECIPE WITH:
- ROSEMARY AND LAVENDER CRUSTED TRI-TIP
- CLASSIC RIBEYE W/ SHITAKE AND CARMALIZED ONION BUTTER
- SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN GIZZARDS
- 4 Russet Potatoes, one per person
- 2c Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2-3 C Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Sour Cream
- Green Onions, sliced
- 6 Strips Bacon, cooked and chopped
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil
- 2TB Butter
- 1 Black Garlic Clove, minced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- MICROWAVE: Poke the potatoes all over with a fork. Wrap in plastic wrap then microwave for 4-6 minutes depending on size of the potatoes.
- BAKE: Once the potatoes are done in the microwave and cool enough to handle. Brush with olive oil and season the outside with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes
- SEASON SHRIMP: Season shrimp generously with salt and pepper right before you’re about to cook.
- HEAT PAN: Heat pan over medium high heat. Add in a little olive oil and butter then add in seasoned shrimp. Cook for about 3 minutes and add in black and white minced garlic. Cook for about another minute.
- POTATO PREP: slice open potatoes and squeeze the sides to pop it open. fluff with a fork and season with more salt and pepper. Add in a small layer of cheese at the bottom. stuff with shrimp and top with remainder of cheese and melt in the oven.
- TOP: Once cheese is melted in the oven top with sour cream, green onions and chopped bacon.