Crispy deep-fried oysters and dill cornmeal-crusted fried green tomatoes with a creamy horseradish dip.
WHAT’S GOING ON HERE:
Oysters: Oysters are great for frying! Dredged in a classic cornmeal crust they come together in minutes. Use this cornmeal crust on your fish, shrimp, and crawfish.
Green Tomatoes: Green tomatoes are heirlooms that haven’t ripened yet. Because of that, they need a pretty healthy time in the fryer to cook all the way through. Green tomatoes should be golden,crispy and tender. Undercooked tomatoes are pretty hard.
Corn Meal: Both green tomatoes and oysters go great in a corn meal crust so i made a batter for both because who likes extra dishes. Use the same dredge for the oysters and the cornmeal.
TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST CRISPY SOUTHERN FRIED OYSTERS & FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
vodka + egg wash: a little splash of alcohol always finds its way into my fried goods. the way the alcohol evaporates in the fryer makes for a airy crispy fried crust. all the alcohol is removed once it’s done frying.
cornmeal crust; corn meal and seafood and tomatoes go hand in hand. fortify the crust to have a stronger hold with corn starch and a little flour.
hot oil: good fried seafood requires hot oil. make sure your cooking oil comes to temperature before adding in the seafood and tomatoes. cold oil will cause the batter to either fall off, get greasy or ruin the dish . make sure the oil is crackling.
salt: add a healthy sprinkle of salt over all food immediately removed from the cooking oil.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
- GARLIC BUTTER SHRIMP SCAMPI
- ORANGE BUTTER SALMON & SWISS CHARD
- THAI CHILI + GARLIC FRIED SHRIMP
ENJOY THIS RECIPE WITH:
- CAJUN BARBECUE CRAB LEGS
- SOUTHERN FRIED SALMON CROQUETTES
- SHRIMP STUFFED BAKED POTATO
Crispy Southern Fried Oyster & Fried Green Tomato Wedges
- 10oz Oysters
- 3-4 Green Tomatoes, sliced in wedges
- Canola Oil, for frying
- Cajun Seasoning
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- EGG WASH
- 4 Eggs
- 2Tb Vodka
- CORN MEAL CRUST
- 2c Corn Meal
- 1/4c Corn Starch
- 1.5c Flour ( 1/2c for dusting)
- 2TB Cajun Seasoning
- 1Tb Cayenne
- 2tsp Dill
- 1Tb Garlic Powder
- 1Tb Black Pepper
- CREAMY HORSERADISH
- 2TB Horseradish
- 1/4c Mayo
- 1tsp Dill
- 1tsp Cayenne
- 1/2tsp Salt
- 1tsp Black Pepper
- 1tsp White Wine Vinegar, or lemon
- Combine all the ingredients for the horseradish sauce and refrigerate.
- Season tomatoes and oysters the same but in separate bowls.
- Coat both in Cajun seasoning, black pepper, garlic and cayenne.
- In a separate bowl combine eggs and vodka and whisk till combined.
- Coat the tomatoes in a 1/2c flour to keep the cornmeal sticking.
- Combine all ingredients listed under corn meal crust in a dry bowl.
- Heat canola oil to 375F .
- Toss the oysters in egg wash then toss in the corn meal crust.
- Place into a fryer and cook for 3-4 minutes till the oysters are golden brown and floating.
- Place onto a wire baking rack for the excess oil to drip. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Toss the green tomatoes in the remaining egg wash, followed by the corn meal crust then straight into deep fryer.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes till tomatoes are golden brown and tender.
- Sprinkle with salt immediately coming out of the fryer.
- Serve the oyster and green tomatoes with hot sauce, lemon and cream horseradish sauce.