Crispy chicken cutlets panko and parmesan crusted, deep fried and topped with a creamy ricotta cheese blend, crispy fried salami and roasted cherry tomatoes. Served over a simple spaghetti.
Crispy chicken has been on the menu a lot lately and I’m loving every second of it. Chicken is by far one of my favorite proteins but I often worry I’ll bore everyone else. I mean you can do some much with it you can braise it, fry it, make it into tenders! So if im making the same protein multiple times I like to really change it up to keep everyone excited. I love this recipe because it used a lot of leftover ingredients from other recipes and it tasted out of this world.
I used spicy dry salami which you can also substitute for pepperoni, genoa salami or any dry Italian salami. The salami I rendered and fried to add extra crunch for the top of the chicken. I also use the fat rendered to fry the chicken for another layer of flavor.
For this recipe the staple is ricotta. Ricotta added a lot of creaminess without making the breading wet. I used literally whatever cheese I had in the fridge as the addition to. So go wild.
The cherry tomatoes added some moisture to the crispy chicken without making everything soggy.
This recipe is was a great change up to the usual crispy chicken or chicken parmesan. If you are making pizza anytime this week then you’ll have all the ingredients for a two in one on hand. Try this recipe out and let me know what you think.
SERVE THIS RECIPE WITH:
- CHEESY JARLSBERG MASHED POTATOES
- RED WINE FIDEO PASTA WITH GARLIC AND CHERRY TOMATOES
- COCONUT BASMATI RICE
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
- 4-6 Chicken breast
- Herbs de Provence
- 1tsp Fresh Thyme
- 1tsp Fresh Rosemary
- 1Egg + 1Tb Milk, whisked
- 2c Panko Bread Crumbs
- 8oz Mushroom, halved
- 1c Flour
- 1/2c Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4c Spicy Dry Salami
- 1c Whole Ricotta Cheese
- 1Tb Parsley
- 1tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Cooking oil
- 1/4c Fontina Cheese
- 2c Cherry Tomatoes
- SEASON CHICKEN: Season chicken generously with salt, pepper, and herbs de provence.
- SET UP BREADING STATIONS: Coat chicken with whisked milk and egg. In a separate bowl combine panko with flour, rosemary, thyme, and parmesan cheese. Season the breadcrumbs generously with salt and pepper.
- BREAD CHICKEN: Coat chicken generously with panko, lightly pressing to hold together. Let chicken sit coated for at least 15 minutes prior to cooking.
- RENDER SALAMI: Start salami in a cold pan to medium heat so that fat can start to melt and crisp salami. Cook for about 6 minutes. Once crispy move to the side.
- BLISTER TOMATOES: In the oil rendered from salami add in cherry tomatoes and cook till tomatoes slightly soften. You don’t want to cook them for very long.
- ADD COOKING OIL: Add in enough cooking oil to coat the bottom of the pan once hot add chicken into pan. Cook chicken under a controlled heat for about 6-8 minutes on each side depending on thickness. Continue till all chicken is cooked.
- ADD MUSHROOMS: Toss in mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes season with salt and pepper.
- MIX TOPPING: In a bowl combine ricotta cheese, fontina, parsley, red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper.
- TOP CHICKEN: Once chicken is cooked top chicken with dollops of ricotta cheese, blistered cherry tomatoes and broil till cheese is golden brown. Once out of the oven top with dry salami and any leftover herbs and cheese. ENJOY!