Air fried sticky wings coated in a sweet honey bourbon lemon glaze and topped with crispy jalapenos and red onions.
Wings are always a great comfort and with an air fryer it lacks a lot of the normal guilt. So I make wings often. If I’m busy and trying to save time I got to my classic flavors like buffalo, lemon pepper, or garlic parmesan. If I have the chance to play around I always take the opportunity. Today felt like a lemon and bourbon kind of day so I went with it. The bourbon was great because it gave the wings a great smoky flavor. The lemon amped up the flavor of the bourbon and the honey gave it a great sticky texture and tamed it all. I wanted to try something new and since I’ve been wanting just a big old sampler plate of mixed fried options and ranch I figured I curve that craving with some light air fried delights. So I through in some fresh jalapenos and onions about half way through their “fry” to crisp up and stick to them. I definitely will be trying this recipe will all types of other variations of veggies and sauces! Try this recipe out and let me know what you think!
TIPS & TRICKS TO THE BEST AIR FRIED HONEY BOURBON CHICKEN WING
time: for the perfect air fried wings I recommend 45 minutes for a super crispy wing. that’s for batches of ten wings. i check and flip my wings every 15-20 minutes.
simmer your sauce: for the perfect wing sauce you want to avoid anything with cornstarch all together. simmering is a great way to thicken your sauce, blend flavors and you don’t have to worry about clumping.
leave the butter for the end: Butter is a thickener. It also helps tame the heat of whatever spice is in your sauce. once you’ve made you wing sauce, cut the heat and add in the butter. that way it doesn’t separate your sauce. you can also melt the butter and toss them both separately on the fried wings.
cut your peppers thick: when you air fry your peppers and onions you want them to basically dry out and crisp like a fried onion petal or fried jalapeno, just without the breading weighing it down. since we’re drying it out, a thin pepper or onion can burn before it gets light and crispy. toss directly onto coated wing.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
TRY THIS RECIPE WITH:
- 4lb Chicken Wings, segmented
- 1 Red Onion, medium halved, medium slice
- 3 Jalapenos, 4-5 slices seeds intact
- 1/2c Lemon Juice + Zest
- 1/4c Honey
- 1/3c Bourbon
- 4-6Tb Butter
- 6 Cloves Garlic, minced
- Green onions, thinly sliced
- Olive Oil
- SEASON THE CHICKEN: Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- AIR FRY OR BAKE: air fry chicken at 350 for 35-40 minutes . Toss every fifteen minutes till desired crispness. (Feel free to air fry longer)
- MAKE SAUCE: In sauce pan bring honey, bourbon, garlic and lemon zest and juice to a boil. Reduce to a simmer till reduced by half. Once reduced cut the heat to the burner and add in butter.
- ADD IN JALAPENO AND ONIONS: When chicken is almost to your desired doneness add in jalapenos and onions that have been lightly coated in olive oil. Let roast for about 15 minutes till crispy. Keep tossing occasionally.
- TOSS WINGS: Once wings are done toss wings in honey bourbon lemon glaze along with green onions!