This super easy dough recipe makes for the perfect pizza pockets! Fill them with your favorite meat, cheeses and sauce then bake them till they are golden brown!
TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST CALZONES + JALAPENO RANCH
use your favorite pizza dough: the best calzone dough is your favorite pizza dough. so if you regularly buy your dough, use that. if you have your go to fool proof method, use that. calzone dough and pizza are the same thing.
marinara on top: when i’m making calzones, stromboli’s or pizza i like to add a tablespoon or two on the the top of crust. that way when it bakes it keep the crust from charring too much and it makes the completed calzones amazing.
move quick: you don’t want much idle time from assembling your calzones to the oven . to do that i like to have all my veggies cut, meat cooked and ready to go and cheeses laid out. that way all i have to do is stretch the dough, fill the calzones, pinch the end, and slide it into the oven. that way the fillings don’t weigh down the raw dough making it harder to get off the counter.
pizza paddle: for the best pizza, calzones and stromboli’s they all have the same objective. crisp and light crust. to do that i like to keep my oven closed so i don’t let any heat escape and i transfer my pizza into the oven with a pizza paddle. that way i assemble on the counter top, slide it onto the paddle ( it takes some practice) and shove it into the oven and immediately close it.
preheat your pizza stone: if you don’t have a pizza pan, you should. it’s seriously one of the best purchases ever. a pizza stone is a hunk of ceramic that you cook pizza on to mimic a pizza oven and help your crust bubble and stay crisp. but unless your temperature in the oven gets up to 900F it wont be like a wood oven. i keep my pizza pan at the bottom of my second oven. that way i don’t have to find a spot for it and it can heat can take the heat if forget it in there. when my pizza oven is in use. i like to preheat under the broiler since that’s the hottest and let that go for 40 minutes.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
ENJOY TIHS RECIPE WITH:
- 12oz Crushed Tomatoes
- Ricotta Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Olives, sliced
- 6c Bread Flour
- 2c Water, warm
- 2Tb Yeast, active dry
- 1Tb Salt
- 1Tb Sugar
- 1Tb Garlic Powder
- 4TB Olive Oil
- 3/4c Sour Cream
- 1/2c Mayonnaise
- 1/2c Milk
- 1Tb Dill
- 2 Jalapenos, minced
- 2Tb Garlic, minced
- Black Pepper, fresh cracked
- 1tsp Onion Powder
- 1tsp Celery Seed
- MAKE RANCH: Make the ranch ahead of time even the day before. Combine all ingredients till evenly incorporated then let it settle.
- MAKE DOUGH: Make your starter by adding hot water, yeast, 2 cups of flour and sugar together. Let sit for 15 minutes till yeast start to bloom. Once the yeast has bloomed add in the remainder of the flour, half of olive oil, and salt. Flip dough onto the counter and knead for 10 minutes till it no longer sticks to the counter and is smooth. Let the rough rest for 1 hour.
- PREHEAT STONE: Preheat the stone under the boiler for 45 minutes to an hour.
- ASSEMBLE: Portion and roll dough out. Fill with desired toppings, close and pinch ends. Top the sealed dough with marinara. Bake at 425F for 20 minutes.
- SERVE: Remove calzones from the oven and serve with the jalapeno ranch dressing.