This super simple recipe makes for a great side dish! Ripe plantains fried in fresh ginger, garlic and turmeric oil till golden red and crispy.
TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST GARLIC AND GINGER FRIED PLANTAINS:
ripe plantains: plantains are best when they are yellow with some black streaks on the side. green plantains are too starchy and need some more times. fully black ones are a little too soft for this dish but can still be eaten in other ways. your plantains for this dish need to be firm to the touch.
remove from the peel: to remove a plantain from the peel is really easy. all you need to is cut the ends using a pairing knife. then make two slices lengthwise down the sides on the opposite ends. just make sure not to go into the fruit. from there just remove and discard the peel.
boil in baking soda: similar to double crunch potatoes. the starch and the baking soda work great together in this dish. the baking soda adds unbelievable crunch to the sides of the plantains once fried in the hot oil
watch your veg: for this dish were cooking everything together. The ginger, garlic and turmeric are all going to season the cooking oil giving the plantains awesome flavor and color. make sure to watch it so it doesn’t burn. the orange turmeric enhances the yellow flesh of the plantain to give it a beautiful red hue.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
- CRISPY SALT AND VINEGAR SEASONED HOMEFRIES
- STICKY HOISIN AIR FRIED GREEN BEANS
- ROASTED GARLIC AND CALABRIAN CHILI FINGERLING POTATOES
ENJOY THIS RECIPE WITH:
- 3 Plantains, peeled and sliced 1inch
- 2Tb Baking Soda
- 3c Water
- 10 Garlic Cloves, whole
- 1tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1inch Fresh Ginger, sliced
- Sunflower Oil
- 4Tb Butter
- BOIL PLANTAINS: Once the plantains are sliced add them in to a shallow pan and fill the pan halfway with water so around 3 cups add in baking soda and sprinkle of salt. Boil for about 3 minutes on each side then remove from the pan.
- FRY VEG: Add in enough oil to generously coat the bottom of the pan then add in butter. Add in garlic and ginger and let cook till it starts to brown.
- FRY PLANTAINS: Crank up the heat a little then add in plantains and turmeric. Cook on both sides for about 5 minutes till golden and electric red. Make sure to move everything in the pan around so the garlic and ginger doesn’t burn. Once cooked remove from the pan and season with salt. Serve with the ginger and garlic.