Hasselback sliced russet potatoes roasted and stuffed with fresh jalapenos and cheddar cheese.
I love hasslebacks potatoes they go with virtually everything. Hasselbacking a potatoes is when you slice a potato not quiet all the way through resulting in more surface area once the potato cooks and puffs. That way you can baste the potatoes with butter, oils, seasoning and stuffing’s and it reaches the inside of the potato too! With these potatoes since so much of its exposed, you can really just brush them with oil or butter and a sprinkle of salt and pepper then you’re good to go! I like to add different fixings to mines to give it a shake up so I tailor my potatoes depending on what I’m making. Tonight I made some peppercorn and blue cheese ribeye so I went full cheddar jalapeno popper for this one! For my hasslebacks and the sake of time I shave over an hour on these with my helpful tips and tricks below. Try this recipe out and let me know what you think!
TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST JALAPENO CHEDDAR HASSLEBACK POTATOES:
microwave: to shave time off of this dish, microwave the potatoes. poke the potatoes with a fork evenly all around. wrap them in plastic wrap then microwave for 5 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes. once out of the microwave have them ready to go in the oven.
season the skin: not seasoning the outside of a potatoes hasselbacking or not is a missed opportunity. lightly brush your potatoes with oil and butter then seasoning with a spice blend of your choosing. or simple salt and pepper will do.
don’t cut too low: the key to proper hasselbacking is making sure you don’t cut all the way to the bottom. if you cut all the way through whatever filling item you stuff it with will spill all over once they melt. also you need to slice the potatoes after the microwave but before the oven.
hot oven: hasslebacks make a great do ahead. they are super easy to reheat to serve with lunch or dinner. the key to a great hassleback potatoes is some time in a hot oven to get the crust nice and crispy and to puff the spots where you sliced so that you can fill them up.
SIMILAR INGREDIENTS TO:
- PEPPERCORN TRI-TIP W/ JALAPENO HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
- SMASHED BLUE CHEESE POTATOES
- ROASTED GARLIC AND CALABRIAN CHILI FINGERLING POTATOES
ENJOY THIS RECIPE WITH:
- CLASSIC RIBEYE W/ SHITAKE AND CARMALIZED ONION BUTTER
- ROSEMARY AND LAVENDER CRUSTED TRI-TIP
- BRAISED SHORT RIBS AND PURPLE SWEET POTATOES
- 4 Russet Potatoes, 1 per person
- 6oz Cheddar, Sliced
- 3 Jalapenos, sliced
- 4Tb Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- MICROWAVE: Poke potatoes all over with a fork then wrap in plastic wrap. Microwave at a minimum of 5 minutes till potatoes are soft. Time depends on the size of the potatoes. Let slightly cool before handling.
- HASSELBACK: Remove the potatoes from the plastic wrap. Slice from top to 1 cm from the bottom of all the potatoes.
- SEASON AND BAKE : Brush with olive oil salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
- FILL: Once cooked fill each slit with jalapeno slices and cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes till melted.
- TOP: Top with green onions and sour cream. Enjoy!